Your car’s handbrake is actually a obligatory safety feature based on the highway code, in fact , this aims to stop your Toyota Corolla, even on a slight incline. It must be in addition to the main brake system controls. It will be possible that after a while the wire system of the hand brake will loosen up and you will not pass the technical control or you may feel that it really is no longer stopping your car. To address these problems, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Toyota Corolla . To get this done, first we will see the adjustment of a manual handbrake on Toyota Corolla , after that, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and then the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Toyota Corolla?
Therefore we start off our document with the hand brake adjustment of a Toyota Corolla in its manual version. This version performs in a simple way which has a system of wire and screws that allow you to manage the tension in the device and therefore to modify the stroke in the lever of your handbrake. To act on it you need to act on these screws to be able to stretch out the handbrake cable of your Toyota Corolla . In any case, ahead of adjusting the hand brake, you must make sure that your rear end wheels are certainly not blocked during the adjustment. Please find below the detailed process to carry out this kind of intervention:
- On the level of your handbrake, remove the plastic console that protects it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once performed, you should discover a trapdoor in your handbrake, open it to see the screw and wire system.
- You will have to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench to allow you to replace the cable stress.
- Now screw on the locking mechanism nuts about both sides, make certain to make the comparable changes on both sides to hold a balanced braking, and make sure that the hand brake handle of your Toyota Corolla has a stroke of about 3 notches.
- Tighten the locknuts and test the locking of the tires of your car, if it’s very good you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten again the tightening screws until you get an ideal setting
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of your Toyota Corolla, the adjustment will be precisely the same but it surely will be done by passing below your car in the level of your handbrake handle. Make sure you place your car on the stand ahead of any actions.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my own Toyota Corolla?
Second system of handbrake adjustment about Toyota Corolla , this is an automatic handbrake, not like the manual one, that one is done directly on the brake drums or calipers, which is designed to adapt automatically for the wear of your brake shoes or brake pads. It may be that if you soon have to acquire brake pads, your handbrake will lose power, listed below are the steps for taking to check if the strain of your handbrake is the right one:
- Bear in mind that an automatic handbrake can not be modified directly because it is purported to adapt by itself to the don of the brake pads or shoes of your Toyota Corolla.
- You can still check that the system is operating effectively simply by putting the car on the stand and checking by driving under the auto that the brake pads are still in good performing order.
- For drum brakes it will be required to take apart the brakes to check your the shoes, we all encourage you to have it performed by a specialist.
- Make sure to replace your brake pads if you need to.
What is the price of adjusting the handbrake of Toyota Corolla by a specialist?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, specifically since it issues a security component of your car, namely the adjustment in the handbrake of your Toyota Corolla , we inform you to go to a technician who can adjust your handbrake to get a about fifty local currency . When you have problems with vibrations when braking on Toyota Corolla, do not hesitate to consult our document which deals with this problem.
Whenever you have any additional questions about the Toyota Corolla, do not hesitate to consult our Toyota Corolla category.