Your car’s handbrake is actually a obligatory protection feature based on the highway code, in fact , this aims to stop your Subaru Forester, even over a slight slope. It must be independent of the main brake controls. It is possible that as time passes the cable system of the hand brake will loosen up and you will not pass the technical control or you may possibly feel that it is no longer stopping your car. To address these concerns, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Subaru Forester . To accomplish this, first we will see the adjustment of a manual handbrake on Subaru Forester , after that, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and ultimately the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Subaru Forester?
Therefore we start off our content with the hand brake adjustment of a Subaru Forester in its manual version. This version performs in a simple way having a system of cable and screws that allow you to control the tension from the device and therefore to modify the stroke from the lever of your handbrake. To act on it you should act on these screws to be able to stretch out the handbrake cable of your Subaru Forester . In any case, prior to adjusting the hand brake, you must make sure that your back wheels are certainly not blocked throughout the adjustment. Make sure you find under the detailed technique to carry out this kind of intervention:
- In the level of the handbrake, remove the plastic console that covers it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once done, you should find out a trapdoor in your handbrake, open it to see the screw and cable system.
- You will need to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench tool to allow you to change the cable pressure.
- Now screw on the locking mechanism nuts upon both sides, make sure to make the comparable changes on both sides to hold a balanced braking, and make sure that the hand brake lever of your Subaru Forester has a stroke of about three notches.
- Tighten the locknuts and test the fastening of the rims of your car, if it’s good you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten again the tightening screws until you get a great optimum setting
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of your Subaru Forester, the adjustment will probably be precisely the same but it will be done by passing under your car with the level of the handbrake lever. Make sure put your car on the stand prior to any actions.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my personal Subaru Forester?
Second approach to handbrake adjustment upon Subaru Forester , this is an automatic handbrake, not like the manual one, this place is done directly on the brake drums or perhaps calipers, and it is expected to adjust automatically to the wear of your brake shoes or pads. It may be that if you rapidly have to acquire brake pads, the handbrake will suffer power, allow me to share the steps to take to check if the tension of your handbrake is the appropriate one:
- Take note that an automatic handbrake can not be adjusted directly because it is designed to adapt alone to the don of the pads or pads of your Subaru Forester.
- You can still check that the system is working effectively by simply putting the vehicle on the stand and checking out by driving under the car that the disc brake pads are still in good functioning order.
- For drum brakes it can be required to take apart the tires to check your the shoes, we recommend you to have it carried out by a specialist.
- Remember to change your pads if you need to.
What is the cost of adjusting the handbrake of Subaru Forester by a specialist?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, specifically since it concerns a security component of your car, namely the adjustment from the handbrake of your Subaru Forester , we counsel you to go to a mechanic that can adjust the handbrake to get a about fifty euros . In case you have problems with vibrations when braking on Subaru Forester, do not think twice to consult our content which relates to this trouble.
To get more tips on the Subaru Forester, take a look at the Subaru Forester category.