Your car’s handbrake is actually a mandatory safety feature according to the highway code, in fact , it aims to end your Peugeot 406, even on a slight incline. It must be in addition to the main brake controls. It will be possible that with time the wire system of the hand brake will loosen up and you will not pass the technical control or you may feel that it is no longer blocking your car. To cope with these challenges, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Peugeot 406 . To get this done, first we will see the adjustment of a manual handbrake on Peugeot 406 , in that case, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and lastly the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Peugeot 406?
So we start out our content with the hand brake adjustment of a Peugeot 406 in its manual version. This kind of version performs in a simple way using a system of wire and anchoring screws that allow you to manage the tension on the device and thus to modify the stroke on the lever of the handbrake. To act on it you need to act on these screws in order to expand the handbrake cable of the Peugeot 406 . In any case, just before adjusting the hand brake, you must make sure that your back wheels aren’t blocked through the adjustment. Make sure you find below the detailed method to carry out this kind of intervention:
- At the level of the handbrake, remove the plastic console that protects it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once performed, you should find out a trapdoor in your handbrake, open it to see the screw and wire system.
- You need to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench to allow you to change the cable pressure.
- Now screw on the lock nuts upon both sides, ensure that you make the comparable changes upon both sides to keep a balanced braking, and make sure that the hand brake lever of your Peugeot 406 has a stroke of about three notches.
- Tighten up the locknuts and test out the locking of the rims of your car, if it’s great you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten again the tightening anchoring screws until you get an optimal configuration
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of the Peugeot 406, the adjustment will probably be precisely the same however it will be done by passing directly below your car at the level of the handbrake lever. Make sure set your car on the stand just before any action.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my own Peugeot 406?
Second approach to handbrake adjustment upon Peugeot 406 , this is an automatic handbrake, unlike the manual one, this method is done on the brake drums or perhaps calipers, and is also imagined to adapt automatically towards the wear of the brake shoes or brake pads. It may be that if you rapidly have to get brake pads, the handbrake will lose power, listed below are the steps to consider to check if the tension of your handbrake is the right one:
- Remember that an automatic handbrake cannot be adjusted directly because it is likely to adapt on its own to the use of the brake pads or pads of your Peugeot 406.
- You can still check that the system is functioning properly by putting the vehicle on the stand and checking out by driving under the motor vehicle that the brake pads are still in good functioning order.
- For drum brakes it is necessary to take apart the brakes to check your the shoes, we encourage you to have it conducted by a specialist.
- Remember to change your brake pads if you need to.
What is the price of adjusting the handbrake of Peugeot 406 by a specialist?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, especially since it worries a safety component of your car, namely the adjustment on the handbrake of the Peugeot 406 , we inform you to go to a repair shop who are able to adjust the handbrake for the about fifty euros . In case you have problems with vibrations when braking on Peugeot 406, do not hesitate to consult our content which deals with this problem.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the Peugeot 406, do not hesitate to consult our Peugeot 406 category.