Your car’s handbrake is actually a required basic safety feature based on the highway code, in fact , it aims to quit your Opel Astra, even on a slight incline. It must be independent of the main brake system controls. It is also possible that with time the cable system of the hand brake will relax and you will certainly not pass the technical control or you may feel that it truly is no longer stopping your car. To address these problems, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Opel Astra . To do this, first we will see the adjustment of the manual handbrake on Opel Astra , in that case, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and then finally the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Opel Astra?
Therefore we start out our content with the hand brake adjustment of a Opel Astra in its manual version. This version performs in a basic way with a system of cable and screws that allow you to manage the tension of the device and thus to modify the stroke of the lever of the handbrake. To act on it you must act on these screws in order to expand the handbrake cable of the Opel Astra . In any case, just before adjusting the hand brake, you must check that your back wheels aren’t blocked during the adjustment. Please find below the detailed procedure to carry out this intervention:
- With the level of your handbrake, remove the plastic console that covers it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once performed, you should see a trapdoor on your handbrake, open it to see the screw and cable system.
- You will need to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench tool to allow you to replace the cable tension.
- Now screw on the lock nuts about both sides, make sure you make the exact changes upon both sides to keep a balanced braking, and check that the hand brake lever of your Opel Astra has a stroke of about 3 notches.
- Tighten up the locknuts and test out the locking of the wheels of your car, if it’s very good you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten up again the tightening screws until you get an ideal configuration
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of the Opel Astra, the adjustment will probably be exactly the same nonetheless it will be done by passing directly below your car at the level of your handbrake lever. Make sure to put your car on the stand just before any actions.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my own Opel Astra?
Second approach to handbrake adjustment about Opel Astra , this is an automatic handbrake, contrary to the manual one, that one is done upon the brake drums or calipers, which is meant to change automatically for the wear of the brake shoes or disc brake pads. It may be that if you quickly have to purchase brake pads, your handbrake will lose power, listed below are the steps for taking to examine if the tension of your handbrake is the appropriate one:
- Realize that an automatic handbrake cannot be adjusted straight because it is supposed to adapt on its own to the wear of the disc brake pads or shoes of your Opel Astra.
- You can still examine that the system is functioning effectively simply by putting your vehicle on the stand and looking at by driving under the car that the brake pads are still in good working order.
- For drum brakes will probably be necessary to take apart the tires to examine your the shoes, we all advise you to have it carried out by a professional.
- Be sure you change your disc brake pads if you need to.
What is the cost of adjusting the handbrake of Opel Astra by a professional?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, specifically since it fears a security element of your car, namely the adjustment of the handbrake of the Opel Astra , we give you advice to go to a auto technician who are able to adjust your handbrake for any about fifty local currency . For those who have problems with vibrations when braking on Opel Astra, do not think twice to refer to our content which works with this issue.
If you have any further questions about the Opel Astra, do not hesitate to consult our Opel Astra category.