Your car’s handbrake is actually a required safety feature based on the highway code, in fact , it aims to end your Lexus NX, even on the slight slope. It must be in addition to the main brake controls. It is possible that with time the cable system of the hand brake will relax and you will not pass the technical control or you may well feel that it really is no longer blocking your car. To cope with these problems, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Lexus NX . To get this done, first we will see the adjustment of your manual handbrake on Lexus NX , in that case, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and ultimately the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Lexus NX?
Therefore we start our document with the hand brake adjustment of a Lexus NX in its manual version. This version works in a basic way having a system of cable and screws that allow you to manage the tension of the device and thus to modify the stroke of the lever of the handbrake. To act on it you will need to act on these kinds of screws to be able to extend the handbrake cable of the Lexus NX . In any case, before adjusting the hand brake, you must be sure your rear end wheels are not blocked through the adjustment. Make sure you find below the detailed treatment to carry out this intervention:
- On the level of the handbrake, remove the plastic console that protects it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once done, you should find out a trapdoor in your handbrake, open it to see the screw and cable system.
- You will need to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench tool to allow you to replace the cable stress.
- Now screw on the lock nuts upon both sides, make certain to make the comparable changes upon both sides to keep a balanced braking, and be sure the hand brake lever of your Lexus NX has a stroke of about three notches.
- Tighten up the locknuts and test the fastening of the wheels of your car, if it’s very good you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten again the tightening screws until you get a great ideal setting
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of the Lexus NX, the adjustment will be exactly the same nonetheless it will be done by passing under your car at the level of the handbrake lever. Remember to set your car on the stand before any action.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my own Lexus NX?
Second approach to handbrake adjustment upon Lexus NX , this is an automatic handbrake, contrary to the manual one, this one is done directly on the brake drums or perhaps calipers, and is imagined to adjust automatically towards the wear of the brake shoes or disc brake pads. It may be that if you rapidly have to acquire brake pads, the handbrake will lose power, allow me to share the steps to take to verify if the tension of your handbrake is the appropriate one:
- Remember that an automatic handbrake cannot be adjusted directly because it is supposed to adapt alone to the use of the disc brake pads or shoes of your Lexus NX.
- You can even now verify that the system is operating properly by putting the car on the stand and checking by driving under the car that the disc brake pads are still in good functioning order.
- For drum brakes it will probably be required to disassemble the tires to verify your the shoes, we encourage you to have it completed by a professional.
- Make sure to replace your disc brake pads if you need to.
What is the cost of adjusting the handbrake of Lexus NX by a professional?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, especially since it worries a safety component of your car, namely the adjustment of the handbrake of the Lexus NX , we counsel you to go to a technician who are able to adjust the handbrake to get a about fifty local currency . When you have problems with vibrations when braking on Lexus NX, do not wait to consult our document which relates to this problem.
To get more tips on the Lexus NX, take a look at the Lexus NX category.