Your car’s handbrake is actually a required basic safety feature based on the highway code, in fact , it aims to stop your Kia Niro, even over a slight slope. It must be in addition to the main brake controls. It is possible that after a while the wire system of the hand brake will relax and you will certainly not pass the technical control or you may possibly feel that it really is no longer stopping your car. To address these problems, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Kia Niro . To get this done, first we will see the adjustment of a manual handbrake on Kia Niro , after that, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and then the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Kia Niro?
Thus we begin our article with the hand brake adjustment of a Kia Niro in its manual version. This kind of version performs in a simple way with a system of wire and anchoring screws that allow you to control the tension with the device and therefore to modify the stroke with the lever of your handbrake. To act on it you need to act on these types of screws in order to expand the handbrake cable of your Kia Niro . In any case, before adjusting the hand brake, you must check that your rear wheels are not blocked throughout the adjustment. Please find below the detailed process to carry out this kind of intervention:
- With the level of your handbrake, remove the plastic console that covers it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once done, you should discover a trapdoor on your handbrake, open it up to see the screw and wire system.
- You will have to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench tool to allow you to replace the cable stress.
- Now screw on the locking mechanism nuts upon both sides, ensure that you make the same changes on both sides to hold a balanced braking, and check that the hand brake handle of your Kia Niro has a stroke of about 3 notches.
- Tighten up the locknuts and test out the fastening of the wheels of your car, if it’s very good you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten up again the tightening anchoring screws until you get an optimum setting
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of your Kia Niro, the adjustment will be exactly the same nonetheless it will be done by passing underneath your car with the level of your handbrake handle. Make sure to set your car on the stand before any action.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my personal Kia Niro?
Second system of handbrake adjustment upon Kia Niro , this is an automatic handbrake, contrary to the manual one, this place is done upon the brake drums or calipers, and it is expected to adapt automatically towards the wear of your brake shoes or disc brake pads. It may be that if you before long have to purchase brake pads, your handbrake will lose power, here are the steps to consider to examine if the tension of your handbrake is the appropriate one:
- Be aware that an automatic handbrake cannot be modified directly because it is supposed to adapt by itself to the don of the disc brake pads or pads of your Kia Niro.
- You can still examine that the system is operating correctly simply by putting the car on the stand and checking out by driving under the motor vehicle that the disc brake pads are still in good functioning order.
- For drum brakes it will probably be required to disassemble the brake systems to examine the state of the shoes, all of us encourage you to have it performed by a professional.
- Be sure you change your disc brake pads if you need to.
What is the price of adjusting the handbrake of Kia Niro by a professional?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, specifically since it questions a safety component of your car, namely the adjustment with the handbrake of your Kia Niro , we counsel you to go to a motor mechanic that can adjust your handbrake for the about fifty euros . If you have problems with vibrations when braking on Kia Niro, do not think twice to consult our article which relates to this problem.
In the event that you have any further questions about the Kia Niro, do not hesitate to consult our Kia Niro category.