Your car’s handbrake is a required safety feature according to the highway code, in fact , it aims to quit your Jaguar XF, even over a slight incline. It must be independent of the main brake controls. It is also possible that with time the cable system of the hand brake will loosen up and you will not pass the technical control or you may well feel that it is no longer stopping your car. To cope with these complications, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Jaguar XF . To do this, first we will see the adjustment of the manual handbrake on Jaguar XF , then simply, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and then the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Jaguar XF?
Therefore we begin our article with the hand brake adjustment of a Jaguar XF in its manual version. This version works in a simple way which has a system of cable and anchoring screws that allow you to manage the tension from the device and therefore to modify the stroke from the lever of your handbrake. To act on it you will need to act on these screws to be able to stretch out the handbrake cable of your Jaguar XF . In any case, ahead of adjusting the hand brake, you must make sure that your rear end wheels are not blocked through the adjustment. Please find below the detailed method to carry out this kind of intervention:
- At the level of your handbrake, remove the plastic console that protects it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once completed, you should discover a trapdoor on your handbrake, open it up to see the screw and cable system.
- You will need to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench tool to allow you to replace the cable stress.
- Now screw on the locking mechanism nuts on both sides, make sure you make the same changes on both sides to hold a balanced brake, and make sure that the hand brake lever of your Jaguar XF has a stroke of about three notches.
- Tighten up the locknuts and test out the fastening of the tires of your car, if it’s good you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten up again the tightening anchoring screws until you get a great optimal configuration
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of your Jaguar XF, the adjustment will probably be exactly the same but it surely will be done by passing underneath your car in the level of your handbrake lever. Make sure to place your car on the stand ahead of any action.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my personal Jaguar XF?
Second approach to handbrake adjustment on Jaguar XF , this is an automatic handbrake, contrary to the manual one, this method is done on the brake drums or calipers, and is meant to adapt automatically for the wear of your brake shoes or pads. It may be that if you shortly have to purchase brake pads, your handbrake will lose power, here are the steps for taking to check if the tension of your handbrake is the right one:
- Be aware that an automatic handbrake cannot be adjusted straight because it is designed to adapt alone to the put on of the pads or pads of your Jaguar XF.
- You can still check that the system is functioning properly simply by putting your vehicle on the stand and looking at by driving under the motor vehicle that the disc brake pads are still in good performing order.
- For drum brakes will probably be necessary to disassemble the tires to check your the shoes, all of us advise you to have it conducted by a specialist.
- Be sure you replace your pads if you need to.
What is the price of adjusting the handbrake of Jaguar XF by a specialist?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, specifically since it concerns a safety element of your car, namely the adjustment from the handbrake of your Jaguar XF , we advise you to go to a technician that can adjust your handbrake for a about fifty local currency . When you have problems with vibrations when braking on Jaguar XF, do not think twice to refer to our article which relates to this problem.
If you wish more guides on the Jaguar XF, go to our Jaguar XF category.