Your car’s handbrake is actually a mandatory security feature according to the highway code, in fact , this aims to quit your Infiniti QX80, even on a slight slope. It must be in addition to the main brake system controls. It will be possible that with time the cable system of the hand brake will relax and you will not really pass the technical control or you might feel that it is actually no longer blocking your car. To address these challenges, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Infiniti QX80 . To do this, first we will see the adjustment of the manual handbrake on Infiniti QX80 , in that case, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and finally the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Infiniti QX80?
Thus we start out our content with the hand brake adjustment of a Infiniti QX80 in its manual version. This kind of version works in a simple way with a system of cable and anchoring screws that allow you to control the tension with the device and thus to modify the stroke with the lever of the handbrake. To act on it you should act on these screws to be able to stretch the handbrake cable of the Infiniti QX80 . In any case, prior to adjusting the hand brake, you must check that your back wheels are not blocked during the adjustment. Make sure you find below the detailed treatment to carry out this kind of intervention:
- With the level of your handbrake, remove the plastic console that protects it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once performed, you should discover a trapdoor in your handbrake, open it to see the screw and cable system.
- You need to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench to allow you to replace the cable tension.
- Now screw on the lock nuts on both sides, be sure to make the comparable changes on both sides to hold a balanced braking, and check that the hand brake handle of your Infiniti QX80 has a stroke of about 3 notches.
- Tighten the locknuts and test out the fastening of the wheels of your car, if it’s very good you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten again the tightening anchoring screws until you get an optimum configuration
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of the Infiniti QX80, the adjustment will be precisely the same but it will be done by passing beneath your car in the level of your handbrake handle. Be sure to put your car on the stand prior to any action.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my Infiniti QX80?
Second approach to handbrake adjustment on Infiniti QX80 , this is an automatic handbrake, unlike the manual one, this is done upon the brake drums or calipers, and it is supposed to change automatically to the wear of the brake shoes or disc brake pads. It may be that if you quickly have to purchase brake pads, your handbrake will lose power, allow me to share the steps to consider to verify if the tension of your handbrake is the appropriate one:
- Realize that an automatic handbrake can’t be adjusted straight because it is supposed to adapt themselves to the put on of the disc brake pads or shoes of your Infiniti QX80.
- You can nonetheless verify that the system is operating correctly simply by putting your vehicle on the stand and examining by driving under the automobile that the brake pads are still in good performing order.
- For drum brakes it will be required to disassemble the brake systems to verify the state of the shoes, all of us recommend you to have it completed by a specialist.
- Make sure to replace your disc brake pads if you need to.
What is the cost of adjusting the handbrake of Infiniti QX80 by a specialist?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, specifically since it questions a security element of your car, namely the adjustment with the handbrake of the Infiniti QX80 , we give you advice to go to a mechanic who are able to adjust your handbrake for the about fifty local currency . In case you have problems with vibrations when braking on Infiniti QX80, do not wait to refer to our content which deals with this problem.
If you want more guides on the Infiniti QX80, go to our Infiniti QX80 category.