Your car’s handbrake is actually a required security feature based on the highway code, in fact , it aims to stop your GMC Canyon, even on a slight incline. It must be independent of the main brake controls. It will be possible that as time passes the cable system of the hand brake will loosen up and you will not really pass the technical control or you might feel that it is actually no longer blocking your car. To cope with these challenges, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your GMC Canyon . To achieve this, first we will see the adjustment of a manual handbrake on GMC Canyon , after that, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and then finally the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on GMC Canyon?
Thus we start off our document with the hand brake adjustment of a GMC Canyon in its manual version. This kind of version performs in a simple way which has a system of cable and anchoring screws that allow you to manage the tension of the device and therefore to modify the stroke of the lever of the handbrake. To act on it you will need to act on these screws to be able to extend the handbrake cable of the GMC Canyon . In any case, just before adjusting the hand brake, you must check that your back wheels aren’t blocked through the adjustment. Please find below the detailed method to carry out this kind of intervention:
- On the level of the handbrake, remove the plastic console that covers it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once completed, you should discover a trapdoor on your handbrake, open it up to see the screw and cable system.
- You will need to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench tool to allow you to replace the cable tension.
- Now screw on the locking mechanism nuts upon both sides, make certain to make the same changes on both sides to hold a balanced brake, and check that the hand brake lever of your GMC Canyon has a stroke of about three notches.
- Tighten up the locknuts and check the fastening of the rims of your car, if it’s very good you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten again the tightening anchoring screws until you get a great optimum configuration
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of the GMC Canyon, the adjustment will be precisely the same but it will be done by passing directly below your car on the level of the handbrake lever. Make sure you set your car on the stand just before any action.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my own GMC Canyon?
Second system of handbrake adjustment upon GMC Canyon , this is an automatic handbrake, contrary to the manual one, this one is done on the brake drums or calipers, and is also imagined to adjust automatically for the wear of the brake shoes or pads. It may be that if you shortly have to buy brake pads, the handbrake will lose power, listed below are the steps to consider to check if the tension of your handbrake is the right one:
- Be aware that an automatic handbrake cannot be modified straight because it is meant to adapt itself to the don of the pads or shoes of your GMC Canyon.
- You can still check that the system is functioning properly simply by putting the car on the stand and looking at by driving under the motor vehicle that the disc brake pads are still in good functioning order.
- For drum brakes it is required to take apart the tires to check the state of the shoes, we all suggest you to have it completed by a professional.
- Remember to change your pads if you need to.
What is the cost of adjusting the handbrake of GMC Canyon by a professional?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, especially since it fears a security component of your car, namely the adjustment of the handbrake of the GMC Canyon , we inform you to go to a technician who can adjust the handbrake for any about fifty local currency . For those who have problems with vibrations when braking on GMC Canyon, do not hesitate to consult our document which works with this issue.
To discover more tips on the GMC Canyon, take a look at the GMC Canyon category.