Your car’s handbrake is a required basic safety feature according to the highway code, in fact , it aims to end your Ford Mondeo, even on a slight incline. It must be independent of the main brake controls. It will be possible that with time the cable system of the hand brake will relax and you will not really pass the technical control or you may possibly feel that it really is no longer stopping your car. To address these challenges, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Ford Mondeo . To accomplish this, first we will see the adjustment of your manual handbrake on Ford Mondeo , in that case, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and finally the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Ford Mondeo?
So we start out our content with the hand brake adjustment of a Ford Mondeo in its manual version. This kind of version works in a basic way with a system of cable and anchoring screws that allow you to control the tension with the device and so to modify the stroke with the lever of the handbrake. To act on it you will need to act on these screws to be able to extend the handbrake cable of the Ford Mondeo . In any case, before adjusting the hand brake, you must be sure your rear wheels are certainly not blocked throughout the adjustment. Make sure you find under the detailed treatment to carry out this kind of intervention:
- At the level of your handbrake, remove the plastic console that protects it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once performed, you should see a trapdoor on your handbrake, open it to see the screw and cable system.
- You will need to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench tool to allow you to replace the cable pressure.
- Now screw on the lock nuts upon both sides, make certain to make the exact changes on both sides to hold a balanced brake, and be sure the hand brake handle of your Ford Mondeo has a stroke of about three notches.
- Tighten up the locknuts and check the locking of the rims of your car, if it’s good you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten again the tightening anchoring screws until you get an optimal setting
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of the Ford Mondeo, the adjustment will probably be exactly the same nonetheless it will be done by passing directly below your car at the level of your handbrake handle. Make sure you put your car on the stand before any actions.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my Ford Mondeo?
Second system of handbrake adjustment upon Ford Mondeo , this is an automatic handbrake, as opposed to the manual one, that one is done upon the brake drums or calipers, and is also imagined to adjust automatically towards the wear of the brake shoes or disc brake pads. It may be that if you shortly have to acquire brake pads, your handbrake will suffer power, here are the steps to consider to examine if the strain of your handbrake is the right one:
- Take note that an automatic handbrake can not be adjusted straight because it is supposed to adapt by itself to the have on of the disc brake pads or pads of your Ford Mondeo.
- You can still examine that the system is operating effectively simply by putting the automobile on the stand and looking at by driving under the auto that the disc brake pads are still in good working order.
- For drum brakes it is necessary to disassemble the brake systems to examine the state of the shoes, we all advise you to have it done by a specialist.
- Be sure you change your disc brake pads if you need to.
What is the price of adjusting the handbrake of Ford Mondeo by a specialist?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, especially since it fears a security component of your car, namely the adjustment with the handbrake of the Ford Mondeo , we counsel you to go to a mechanic who can adjust your handbrake for the about fifty euros . In case you have problems with vibrations when braking on Ford Mondeo, do not hesitate to refer to our content which deals with this issue.
If you wish more guides on the Ford Mondeo, go to our Ford Mondeo category.