Your car’s handbrake is actually a required protection feature according to the highway code, in fact , it aims to stop your Ford Fiesta, even on a slight incline. It must be independent of the main brake controls. It will be possible that after some time the wire system of the hand brake will relax and you will certainly not pass the technical control or you may feel that it truly is no longer stopping your car. To address these complications, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Ford Fiesta . To accomplish this, first we will see the adjustment of your manual handbrake on Ford Fiesta , then, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and then finally the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Ford Fiesta?
Thus we start our content with the hand brake adjustment of a Ford Fiesta in its manual version. This kind of version works in a basic way having a system of wire and screws that allow you to manage the tension from the device and thus to modify the stroke from the lever of the handbrake. To act on it you will have to act on these types of screws in order to extend the handbrake cable of the Ford Fiesta . In any case, ahead of adjusting the hand brake, you must make sure that your rear wheels are certainly not blocked throughout the adjustment. Please find under the detailed procedure to carry out this kind of intervention:
- With the level of your handbrake, remove the plastic console that covers it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once done, you should see a trapdoor on your handbrake, open it to see the screw and wire system.
- You will need to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench to allow you to change the cable tension.
- Now screw on the lock nuts on both sides, make sure to make the same changes upon both sides to hold a balanced brake, and make sure that the hand brake lever of your Ford Fiesta has a stroke of about three notches.
- Tighten up the locknuts and check the locking of the rims of your car, if it’s great you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten again the tightening screws until you get an optimal setting
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of the Ford Fiesta, the adjustment will probably be exactly the same but it will be done by passing underneath your car at the level of your handbrake lever. Be sure to set your car on the stand ahead of any actions.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my Ford Fiesta?
Second system of handbrake adjustment on Ford Fiesta , this is an automatic handbrake, as opposed to the manual one, this is done directly on the brake drums or calipers, and it is meant to adjust automatically towards the wear of the brake shoes or pads. It may be that if you soon have to acquire brake pads, your handbrake will suffer power, allow me to share the steps to consider to verify if the strain of your handbrake is the appropriate one:
- Remember that an automatic handbrake cannot be adjusted straight because it is likely to adapt alone to the don of the pads or pads of your Ford Fiesta.
- You can even now verify that the system is functioning correctly simply by putting your vehicle on the stand and checking by driving under the auto that the disc brake pads are still in good working order.
- For drum brakes will probably be required to disassemble the tires to verify the state of the shoes, all of us recommend you to have it completed by a specialist.
- Remember to change your pads if you need to.
What is the cost of adjusting the handbrake of Ford Fiesta by a specialist?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, specifically since it concerns a safety element of your car, namely the adjustment from the handbrake of the Ford Fiesta , we give you advice to go to a auto technician that can adjust your handbrake for any about fifty local currency . For those who have problems with vibrations when braking on Ford Fiesta, do not wait to consult our content which relates to this trouble.
If you wish more tutorials on the Ford Fiesta, go to our Ford Fiesta category.