Your car’s handbrake is actually a obligatory safety feature according to the highway code, in fact , this aims to stop your Ford Crown Victoria, even on a slight incline. It must be independent of the main brake controls. It will be possible that as time passes the wire system of the hand brake will loosen up and you will not really pass the technical control or you may feel that it is actually no longer blocking your car. To cope with these problems, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Ford Crown Victoria . To accomplish this, first we will see the adjustment of your manual handbrake on Ford Crown Victoria , then, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and ultimately the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Ford Crown Victoria?
So we commence our document with the hand brake adjustment of a Ford Crown Victoria in its manual version. This kind of version works in a simple way which has a system of wire and screws that allow you to manage the tension with the device and therefore to modify the stroke with the lever of your handbrake. To act on it you will have to act on these types of screws in order to extend the handbrake cable of your Ford Crown Victoria . In any case, prior to adjusting the hand brake, you must make sure that your rear end wheels are not blocked throughout the adjustment. Make sure you find under the detailed process to carry out this intervention:
- At the level of the handbrake, remove the plastic console that covers it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once completed, you should find out a trapdoor in your handbrake, open it to see the screw and wire system.
- You will need to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench tool to allow you to replace the cable tension.
- Now screw on the locking mechanism nuts on both sides, make sure you make the exact changes on both sides to keep a balanced brake, and make sure that the hand brake handle of your Ford Crown Victoria has a stroke of about 3 notches.
- Tighten the locknuts and test the fastening of the wheels of your car, if it’s great you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten up again the tightening screws until you get an optimal setting
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of your Ford Crown Victoria, the adjustment will probably be exactly the same but it surely will be done by passing under your car in the level of the handbrake handle. Remember to set your car on the stand prior to any action.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my own Ford Crown Victoria?
Second approach to handbrake adjustment on Ford Crown Victoria , this is an automatic handbrake, unlike the manual one, this is done upon the brake drums or calipers, and is also designed to adjust automatically towards the wear of your brake shoes or brake pads. It may be that if you quickly have to buy brake pads, the handbrake will lose power, allow me to share the steps to consider to verify if the strain of your handbrake is the right one:
- Be aware that an automatic handbrake can’t be adjusted directly because it is purported to adapt itself to the wear of the brake pads or pads of your Ford Crown Victoria.
- You can still verify that the system is operating effectively simply by putting the automobile on the stand and verifying by driving under the vehicle that the disc brake pads are still in good functioning order.
- For drum brakes it will probably be necessary to take apart the brake systems to verify your the shoes, we suggest you to have it done by a specialist.
- Be sure you change your brake pads if you need to.
What is the cost of adjusting the handbrake of Ford Crown Victoria by a specialist?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, especially since it worries a security component of your car, namely the adjustment with the handbrake of your Ford Crown Victoria , we advise you to go to a repair shop who are able to adjust the handbrake for the about fifty euros . When you have problems with vibrations when braking on Ford Crown Victoria, do not wait to refer to our document which refers to this issue.
To discover more tips on the Ford Crown Victoria, take a look at the Ford Crown Victoria category.