Your car’s handbrake is actually a obligatory security feature based on the highway code, in fact , this aims to quit your Chevrolet Traverse, even over a slight slope. It must be independent of the main brake system controls. It will be possible that with time the wire system of the hand brake will relax and you will not really pass the technical control or you may feel that it is actually no longer stopping your car. To cope with these concerns, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Chevrolet Traverse . To get this done, first we will see the adjustment of a manual handbrake on Chevrolet Traverse , then, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and finally the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Chevrolet Traverse?
Therefore we start out our content with the hand brake adjustment of a Chevrolet Traverse in its manual version. This version works in a simple way which has a system of wire and screws that allow you to control the tension on the device and thus to modify the stroke on the lever of your handbrake. To act on it you will have to act on these screws in order to expand the handbrake cable of your Chevrolet Traverse . In any case, just before adjusting the hand brake, you must check that your back wheels aren’t blocked throughout the adjustment. Make sure you find below the detailed technique to carry out this kind of intervention:
- In the level of your handbrake, remove the plastic console that protects it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once completed, you should see a trapdoor on your handbrake, open it up to see the screw and wire system.
- You will need to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench to allow you to change the cable tension.
- Now screw on the lock nuts about both sides, make sure you make the comparable changes on both sides to keep a balanced braking, and check that the hand brake lever of your Chevrolet Traverse has a stroke of about three notches.
- Tighten up the locknuts and check the fastening of the wheels of your car, if it’s very good you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten again the tightening screws until you get an ideal configuration
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of your Chevrolet Traverse, the adjustment will probably be exactly the same but it really will be done by passing underneath your car at the level of your handbrake lever. Be sure to set your car on the stand just before any action.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my Chevrolet Traverse?
Second system of handbrake adjustment about Chevrolet Traverse , this is an automatic handbrake, not like the manual one, this is done upon the brake drums or perhaps calipers, and is also supposed to adjust automatically for the wear of your brake shoes or disc brake pads. It may be that if you soon have to purchase brake pads, your handbrake will lose power, here are the steps to consider to verify if the tension of your handbrake is the appropriate one:
- Realize that an automatic handbrake can not be modified directly because it is meant to adapt alone to the put on of the disc brake pads or pads of your Chevrolet Traverse.
- You can still verify that the system is functioning correctly by putting the vehicle on the stand and verifying by driving under the automobile that the disc brake pads are still in good functioning order.
- For drum brakes it can be necessary to disassemble the tires to verify your the shoes, all of us advise you to have it done by a specialist.
- Be sure you replace your disc brake pads if you need to.
What is the price of adjusting the handbrake of Chevrolet Traverse by a specialist?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, specifically since it issues a safety element of your car, namely the adjustment on the handbrake of your Chevrolet Traverse , we advise you to go to a mechanic that can adjust your handbrake to get a about fifty local currency . In case you have problems with vibrations when braking on Chevrolet Traverse, do not hesitate to refer to our content which works with this issue.
If you wish more guides on the Chevrolet Traverse, go to our Chevrolet Traverse category.