Your car’s handbrake is a required security feature according to the highway code, in fact , this aims to quit your Chevrolet Impala, even on the slight incline. It must be in addition to the main brake controls. It will be possible that after some time the cable system of the hand brake will relax and you will certainly not pass the technical control or you may well feel that it truly is no longer blocking your car. To cope with these concerns, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Chevrolet Impala . To accomplish this, first we will see the adjustment of your manual handbrake on Chevrolet Impala , in that case, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and finally the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Chevrolet Impala?
Thus we start out our article with the hand brake adjustment of a Chevrolet Impala in its manual version. This kind of version works in a simple way with a system of cable and screws that allow you to manage the tension from the device and so to modify the stroke from the lever of the handbrake. To act on it you will have to act on these kinds of screws in order to extend the handbrake cable of the Chevrolet Impala . In any case, ahead of adjusting the hand brake, you must be sure your rear wheels are not blocked through the adjustment. Please find below the detailed procedure to carry out this kind of intervention:
- With the level of your handbrake, remove the plastic console that protects it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once done, you should find out a trapdoor on your handbrake, open it to see the screw and cable system.
- You will have to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench to allow you to change the cable pressure.
- Now screw on the locking mechanism nuts upon both sides, be sure to make the comparable changes upon both sides to hold a balanced brake, and be sure the hand brake lever of your Chevrolet Impala has a stroke of about 3 notches.
- Tighten up the locknuts and test the locking of the tires of your car, if it’s good you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten again the tightening screws until you get an optimal setting
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of the Chevrolet Impala, the adjustment will be exactly the same but it will be done by passing below your car at the level of your handbrake lever. Make sure place your car on the stand ahead of any action.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my own Chevrolet Impala?
Second approach to handbrake adjustment upon Chevrolet Impala , this is an automatic handbrake, not like the manual one, this one is done upon the brake drums or calipers, and it is supposed to adapt automatically for the wear of the brake shoes or disc brake pads. It may be that if you rapidly have to get brake pads, your handbrake will lose power, here are the steps for taking to verify if the strain of your handbrake is the right one:
- Be aware that an automatic handbrake cannot be modified straight because it is purported to adapt on its own to the put on of the disc brake pads or shoes of your Chevrolet Impala.
- You can even now verify that the system is operating effectively simply by putting the automobile on the stand and checking out by driving under the car that the brake pads are still in good functioning order.
- For drum brakes it is necessary to disassemble the brake systems to verify your the shoes, we encourage you to have it completed by a professional.
- Remember to replace your disc brake pads if you need to.
What is the price of adjusting the handbrake of Chevrolet Impala by a professional?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, especially since it issues a security component of your car, namely the adjustment from the handbrake of the Chevrolet Impala , we counsel you to go to a motor mechanic who can adjust your handbrake for your about fifty euros . For those who have problems with vibrations when braking on Chevrolet Impala, do not wait to consult our article which relates to this trouble.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the Chevrolet Impala, do not hesitate to consult our Chevrolet Impala category.