Your car’s handbrake is a mandatory security feature based on the highway code, in fact , it aims to quit your Cadillac SRX, even on the slight slope. It must be independent of the main brake system controls. It is also possible that after a while the wire system of the hand brake will relax and you will not really pass the technical control or you could feel that it can be no longer blocking your car. To cope with these challenges, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Cadillac SRX . To achieve this, first we will see the adjustment of your manual handbrake on Cadillac SRX , then simply, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and ultimately the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Cadillac SRX?
Thus we start out our document with the hand brake adjustment of a Cadillac SRX in its manual version. This version performs in a basic way which has a system of wire and anchoring screws that allow you to manage the tension in the device and so to modify the stroke in the lever of the handbrake. To act on it you will have to act on these kinds of screws in order to expand the handbrake cable of the Cadillac SRX . In any case, ahead of adjusting the hand brake, you must make sure that your back wheels aren’t blocked throughout the adjustment. Please find below the detailed treatment to carry out this kind of intervention:
- On the level of the handbrake, remove the plastic console that covers it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once done, you should find out a trapdoor in your handbrake, open it up to see the screw and wire system.
- You will need to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench to allow you to replace the cable pressure.
- Now screw on the locking mechanism nuts in both sides, ensure that you make the exact changes upon both sides to hold a balanced braking, and make sure that the hand brake lever of your Cadillac SRX has a stroke of about three notches.
- Tighten up the locknuts and test the fastening of the tires of your car, if it’s great you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten again the tightening anchoring screws until you get an ideal configuration
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of the Cadillac SRX, the adjustment will probably be precisely the same but it surely will be done by passing underneath your car on the level of the handbrake lever. Make sure put your car on the stand ahead of any action.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my Cadillac SRX?
Second approach to handbrake adjustment in Cadillac SRX , this is an automatic handbrake, contrary to the manual one, this one is done directly on the brake drums or perhaps calipers, and is also meant to adjust automatically to the wear of the brake shoes or disc brake pads. It may be that if you rapidly have to acquire brake pads, the handbrake will suffer power, listed below are the steps for taking to examine if the tension of your handbrake is the appropriate one:
- Take note that an automatic handbrake cannot be adjusted directly because it is supposed to adapt themselves to the have on of the disc brake pads or shoes of your Cadillac SRX.
- You can nonetheless examine that the system is operating properly simply by putting the vehicle on the stand and examining by driving under the automobile that the brake pads are still in good functioning order.
- For drum brakes it can be required to take apart the tires to examine your the shoes, all of us encourage you to have it done by a professional.
- Remember to change your disc brake pads if you need to.
What is the cost of adjusting the handbrake of Cadillac SRX by a professional?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, specifically since it concerns a safety element of your car, namely the adjustment in the handbrake of the Cadillac SRX , we counsel you to go to a auto technician who can adjust the handbrake to get a about fifty euros . In case you have problems with vibrations when braking on Cadillac SRX, do not think twice to consult our document which relates to this trouble.
If you want more tutorials on the Cadillac SRX, go to our Cadillac SRX category.