Whether you feel you can’t see as well through the night, regardless whether you feel you’re lighting too low or too high, in all of these cases, there’s only one part of your vehicle to blame – your low beams. Despite the fact this correction may seem simple thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a whole correction is much more technical than this simple realignment, and in this document, we will find out how to adjust the low beam lights of your Volvo XC60? For this, first of all we will find out why you should adjust your lights, and, secondly, how to adjust the low beam lights of your Volvo XC60.
Why adjust the low beam lights of your Volvo XC60?
So let’s start our document with the point of adjusting the low beam lights of your Volvo XC60. For a lot of people these lights are well enough adjusted, and it seems that they light up enough at night. Unfortunately this is not automatically the case and verifying this setting, either because the low beams of your Volvo XC60 are not lighting up well, or because you have the sense that they are too weak or too strong is a wise decision .
Adjusting the low beam of your Volvo XC60 for safety is a wise decision.
Firstly, the adjusting of the dipped headlights of an Volvo XC60 must be done for a basic safety reason. Regardless it’s for you, or for the other drivers you come across during your night journeys. In reality, if you don’t see enough, the real danger is to miss an obstacle on the road, or to anticipate a curve badly. Alternatively, if your lights are too strong, you risk dazzling the car owners in front of you, and thus putting yourself at risk. It is subsequently essential for others as well as for you to have an optimal setting of your parking lights.
Setting the low beam headlights of an Volvo XC60 for law reasons
In addition to safety, there is a law that controls the power, the adjustment of low beams of cars, here is what it specifies: have between 2 and 4 headlights that light up at minimum , 30 meters. Another law controls their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that the height of the beam must be between 500 mm and 1200 mm from the ground, and that they must be at least 600 mm apart.
How to adjust the low-beam headlamps of a Volvo XC60?
We will now move on to the part that concerns you the more in this document, how to adjust the low beams of his Volvo XC60? This setting may seem a bit complex, but if you stick to the instructions you should be able to do it without too much difficulty.
Preparations to set the low beam of a Volvo XC60
To start, you will need to set up your vehicle to adjust your low beam lights in good conditions, here are the preparations to do:
- Place your vehicle on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Examine your tire pressure cautiously.
- Examine that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Remove all needless weight from the vehicle, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The setting of the low beam headlights of his Volvo XC60
Once your vehicle is into position, you will switch on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Make sure with a level that both parts of the cross are straight. Then back your vehicle up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the process here are the steps to stick to:
- Open your bonnet, identify the screws for horizontal and vertical adjustment of the lights of your Volvo XC60 (they are almost always marked, and those above must adjust the verticality and those on the side handles the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or some thing else to hide the light on which you are not making the modification.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal modification, you should have the most strong part of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line marked on the wall
- With regard to vertical manipulation, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly below.
- Once complete, examine that the low beam setting of your Volvo XC60 is consistent on the road, do not be reluctant to examine that it has been driven, in some cases it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Volvo XC60, please examine our document on this subject.
If you want more tutorials on the Volvo XC60, go to our Volvo XC60 category.