Regardless whether you feel you can’t see properly through the night, regardless you feel you’re lighting too low or too high, in all of these situations, there’s only one component of your vehicle to blame – your low beams. Although this adjustment may appear simple thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a whole adjustment is much more technical than this simple manipulation, and in this article, we will find out how to adjust the low beam lights of your Volvo Xc40? For this, first we will find out why you should adjust your lights, and, secondly, how to adjust the low beam lights of your Volvo Xc40.
Why adjust the low beam lights of your Volvo Xc40?
So let’s begin our article with the interest of adjusting the low beam lights of your Volvo Xc40. For most people these lights are good enough adjusted, and it seems that they light up enough at night. Unfortunately this is not necessarily the case and verifying this setting, either because the low beams of your Volvo Xc40 are not lighting up well, or because you have the feeling that they are too low or too strong is a wise decision .
Adjusting the low beam of your Volvo Xc40 for security is a wise decision.
To start, the adjusting of the dipped headlights of an Volvo Xc40 must be done for a elementary security purpose. It doesn’t matter if it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night journeys. In fact, if you don’t see enough, the real danger is to fail to see an obstacle on the road, or to anticipate a curve badly. However, if your lights are too strong, you risk dazzling the people in front of you, and thus putting yourself in danger. It is as a consequence imperative for others as well as for you to have an optimal setting of your parking lights.
Setting the low beam headlights of an Volvo Xc40 for legal reasons
In addition to security, there is a law that regulates the power, the adjustment of low beams of cars, here is what it specifies: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at minimum , 30 meters. Another regulation regulates their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that the height of the beam must be between 500 mm and 1200 mm from the floor, and that they must be at least 600 mm apart.
How to adjust the low-beam headlamps of a Volvo Xc40?
We will now move on to the section that interests you the more in this article, how to adjust the low beams of his Volvo Xc40? This setting may appear to be a bit difficult, but if you follow the recommendations you should be able to do it without too much issue.
Preparations to set the low beam of a Volvo Xc40
Firstly, you will need to prepare your vehicle to adjust your low beam lights in good conditions, here are the preparations to put in place:
- Place your vehicle on a floor in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Check your tire pressure precisely.
- Check that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Remove all unneeded weight from the vehicle, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The setting of the low beam headlights of his Volvo Xc40
Once your vehicle is into position, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Make sure with a level that both parts of the cross are straight. Then back your vehicle up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the operation here are the steps to follow:
- Open your bonnet, identify the screws for horizontal and vertical adjustment of the lights of your Volvo Xc40 (they are almost always marked, and those above must adjust the verticality and those on the side controls the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or something else to hide the light on which you are not making the modification.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal modification, you should have the most strong part of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line marked on the wall
- With regard to vertical adjustment, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly below.
- Once done, verify that the low beam setting of your Volvo Xc40 is consistent on the road, do not be reluctant to verify that it has been driven, in some cases it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Volvo Xc40, please examine our article on this subject.
If you have any additional questions about the Volvo Xc40, do not hesitate to consult our Volvo Xc40 category.