Regardless whether you feel you can’t see properly at night, regardless whether you feel you’re lighting too low or too high, in all of these situations, there’s only one part of your car to blame – your low beams. Although this correction may seem simple thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a full correction is much more complex than this basic manipulation, and in this article, we will see how to adjust the low beam lights of your Scion xB? For this, first we will see why you should adjust your lights, and, secondly, how to adjust the low beam lights of your Scion xB.
Why adjust the low beam lights of your Scion xB?
So let’s start our article with the advantage of adjusting the low beam lights of your Scion xB. For many people these lights are well enough adjusted, and it seems that they light up enough at night. Sadly this is not automatically the case and looking at this setting, either because the low beams of your Scion xB are not illuminating well, or because you have the sense that they are too low or too powerful is a good plan .
Adjusting the low beam of your Scion xB for safety is a good plan.
Firstly, the adjusting of the dipped headlights of an Scion xB must be done for a basic safety reason. It doesn’t matter if it’s for you, or for the other drivers you encounter during your night trips. In fact, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to fail to see an obstacle on the road, or to anticipate a curve badly. However, if your lights are too powerful, you risk dazzling the car owners in front of you, and thus putting yourself at risk. It is therefore essential for others as well as for you to have an optimal setting of your parking lights.
Setting the low beam headlights of an Scion xB for legal justifications
Furthermore to safety, there is a law that regulates the power, the adjustment of low beams of cars, here is what it specifies: have between 2 and 4 headlights that light up at minimum , 30 meters. Another law regulates their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that the height of the beam must be between 500 mm and 1200 mm from the floor, and that they must be at least 600 mm apart.
How to adjust the low-beam headlamps of a Scion xB?
We will now move on to the part that concerns you the more in this article, how to adjust the low beams of his Scion xB? This setting may appear a bit complicated, but if you follow the instructions you should be able to do it without too much difficulty.
Preparations to set the low beam of a Scion xB
Firstly, you will need to prepare your car to adjust your low beam lights in good conditions, here are the preparations to do:
- Place your car on a area in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Verify your tire pressure rigorously.
- Verify that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Remove all needless weight from the car, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The setting of the low beam headlights of his Scion xB
Once your car is in place, you will switch on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Make sure with a level that both parts of the cross are straight. Then back your car up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the operation here are the simple steps to follow:
- Open your bonnet, locate the screws for horizontal and vertical adjustment of the lights of your Scion xB (they are commonly marked, and those above must adjust the verticality and those on the side handles the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or some thing else to hide the light on which you are not making the correction.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal correction, you should have the most powerful part of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line marked on the wall
- With regard to vertical adjustment, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly below.
- Once finished, verify that the low beam setting of your Scion xB is consistent on the road, do not hesitate to verify that it has been driven, in some cases it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Scion xB, please browse our article on this subject.
In the event that you have any additional questions about the Scion xB, do not hesitate to consult our Scion xB category.