Regardless you feel you can’t see good enough during the night, regardless you feel you’re lighting too low or too high, in all of these circumstances, there’s only one part of your car to blame – your low beams. Even though this adjustment may appear easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a whole adjustment is much more complex than this common realignment, and in this article, we will see how to adjust the low beam lights of your BMW 7 Series? For this, first of all we will see why you should adjust your lights, and, secondly, how to adjust the low beam lights of your BMW 7 Series.
Why adjust the low beam lights of your BMW 7 Series?
So let’s start our article with the interest of adjusting the low beam lights of your BMW 7 Series. For a lot of people these lights are sufficiently adjusted, and it seems that they light up enough at night. Unfortunately this is not always the case and examining this setting, either because the low beams of your BMW 7 Series are not illuminating well, or because you have the sense that they are too weak or too strong is a good option .
Adjusting the low beam of your BMW 7 Series for safety is a good option.
First of all, the adjusting of the dipped headlights of an BMW 7 Series must be done for a simple safety cause. Whether it’s for you, or for the other drivers you encounter during your night trips. In reality, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to miss an obstacle on the route, or to anticipate a curve badly. In contrast, if your lights are too strong, you risk dazzling the people in front of you, and thus putting yourself in danger. It is consequently important for others as well as for you to have an ideal setting of your parking lights.
Setting the low beam headlights of an BMW 7 Series for legal motives
In addition to safety, there is a law that regulates the power, the adjustment of low beams of cars, here is what it specifies: have between 2 and 4 headlights that light up at minimum , 30 meters. Another regulation regulates their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that the height of the beam must be between 500 mm and 1200 mm from the ground, and that they must be at least 600 mm apart.
How to adjust the low-beam headlamps of a BMW 7 Series?
We will now move on to the section that concerns you the most in this article, how to adjust the low beams of his BMW 7 Series? This setting may sound a bit complex, but if you stick to the guidelines you should be able to do it without too much difficulty.
Preparations to set the low beam of a BMW 7 Series
First of all, you will need to prepare your car to adjust your low beam lights in good conditions, here are the preparations to put in place:
- Place your car on a floor in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Examine your tire pressure cautiously.
- Examine that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Remove all unnecessary weight from the car, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The setting of the low beam headlights of his BMW 7 Series
Once your car is in position, you will switch on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Make sure with a level that both parts of the cross are straight. Then step back your car up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the task here are the basic steps to stick to:
- Open your bonnet, situate the screws for horizontal and vertical adjustment of the lights of your BMW 7 Series (they are almost always marked, and those above must adjust the verticality and those on the side adjusts the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or something else to hide the light on which you are not making the manipulation.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal manipulation, you should have the most intense part of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line marked on the wall
- With regard to vertical modification, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly below.
- Once carried out, check that the low beam setting of your BMW 7 Series is consistent on the road, do not hesitate to check that it has been driven, in some cases it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your BMW 7 Series, please go through our article on this subject.
If you need more tutorials on the BMW 7 Series, go to our BMW 7 Series category.