Car mirrors are one of the most vital security features that you must always ensure are operating properly, because it is your safety, the safety of other drivers and your budget because you can be fined if you have a defective mirror. This is the case we will focus on today, you have suffered a collision, one of your side mirrors is ruined and you are now wondering how to change a side mirror on your Volkswagen Polo? You are at the right place, we will explain all the guidelines to help you replace it in the correct way. To begin, we’ll have a look at what attracts you on this page, how to change a complete side mirror on your Volkswagen Polo, and then how to replace only the mirror glass.
How to replace a complete side mirror on my Volkswagen Polo?
Let’s go, we begin this article with the part that most certainly concerns you the most, how to replace a side mirror on my Volkswagen Polo? This operation is quite easy and you should be able to do it on your own with a minimum of tooling. You will just need to take off the plastic cover inside your car’s interior, it is in general clipped on the door. For power mirrors, be sure to unplug the power connector that you will see behind the cover. Finally, you will have to unscrew the screws that hold the mirror, usually there are three, a simple screwdriver should do the trick to allow you to complete this step of changing the side mirror of your Volkswagen Polo. Make sure keep the mirror on the outside of your vehicle when unscrewing the last screw, so that it does not fall out. Finally to install your new side mirror, you will simply have to fit the new one in the 3 screw axes, screw it back in, reconnect the electricity if it is electric and to finish reposition the plastic cover. That’s it, you’ve just learned how to replace the side mirror of your Volkswagen Polo, you know now that it wasn’t that hard to do.
How do you just replace the window of the side mirror of my Volkswagen Polo?
If perhaps you just need to replace the window of the side mirror of your Volkswagen Polo, you will first need to discover the type of locking of your mirror. To accomplish this, the least complicated approach is to check out the fixing system on the replacement glass.
Side mirror glass replacing: tongue-locking glass
- If you need to replace the side mirror glass of your Volkswagen Polo and it uses a tongue and groove system, you are lucky, it is the easiest unit to take off. All you have to do is to use a plastic object to take off the window “by force”.
- To reposition it, do the same thing and push it back into place with force. To verify that it is perfectly installed, move it around.
Side mirror glass replacing: metal spring locking glass
- With this locking system, to replace the side mirror glass of your Volkswagen Polo you will need to locate the locking spring, turn the glass in the opposite way to give you access to it, disassemble it.
- Make sure keep the spring because it is possible that you have not one provided it with your new window, change it on your new window, take apart the old one paying attention to the electric cables in the case of defrosting system
- Go along with the positioning guide (notch) and carefully push it into its housing so as not to break it. Examine that it is well installed by moving it around.
Side mirror glass replacing: swivel tray locking glass
- You can uncover the position of the swivel plate of the window to be changed on the side mirror of your Volkswagen Polo, in most cases it is at the bottom behind the window
- Turn the glass in the opposite way to give you less difficult access to the device and using a screwdriver, rotate the mechanism.
- If your mirror is equipped with a defrosting system, do the reverse procedure to reattach it and check that it is perfectly fixed.
To find more tips on the Volkswagen Polo, take a look at the Volkswagen Polo category.