Certain parts of your car are necessary to its correct functioning, and to go further more, important to your safety and that of other users. Your braking system is one of them, and if there’s one thing that must be in good working conditions, it’s this one. When you begin to have brake complications you need to handle it right away, that’s why our team has made this article on brake fluid leaks on Peugeot 108 to help you resolve this difficulty in the right way and handle it fairly quickly. To do so, we will first see the function of brake fluid, then, what triggers a brake fluid leak on your Peugeot 108 , and to finish, how to remedy such a leak.
What is the function of brake fluid on a Peugeot 108?
So we begin our article by fairly quickly detailing the function of this famous brake fluid in the braking system of your Peugeot 108. To understand, a brake system operates with a closed hydraulic circuit, that is to say that you will have rigid hoses filled with brake fluid that are pressurized by the master cylinder, and when you press your brake pedal, your brake fluid will be pressurized and will actuate your brake calipers so that they pinch the brake pads on your discs. It is therefore vital that you always have the right level of brake fluid on your Peugeot 108, if you don’t know how to carry out this manipulation, consult our article on this subject.
Motives of a brake fluid leak on your Peugeot 108
We now proceed to a more essential component to help you understand why you have a brake fluid leak on your Peugeot 108 .
What triggers a brake fluid leak on a Peugeot 108?
First, we’ll describe the different possible roots of the leak of your Peugeot 108. Here are the ones down below:
- A broken brake hose: It’s one of the most common causes, one of the brake hoses has been cut and you lose brake fluid and pressure through this hole.
- A defective master cylinder on Peugeot 108 can result in leaks on its different entries or exits.
- Most of the time this occurs when a brake drain has been done lately, and it is often not tightened properly.
- Wheel cylinder: Just present on drum brakes, this component can leak and bring about an imbalance in the braking.
How to spot a brake fluid leak on Peugeot 108?
We will now give you the different recommendations and symptoms to interpret to check that you have a brake fluid leak on your Peugeot 108 , discover them down below:
- If the ABS warning light of your Peugeot 108 is on , you have to check directly the condition of your circuit, do not think twice to consult our dedicated article to have all the procedures to carry out.
- If your Peugeot 108 pulls to the left or right when you brake you may possibly have a brake fluid leak.
- This is one of the most noticeable signs, if you feel that your pedal is much less difficult to press down and goes up more slowly, it is very likely that you have a loss of pressure in your brake system.
- More logical, but if you discover brake fluid on one of these components you are bound to have a leak since this circuit is supposed to be closed.
How to resolve a brake fluid leak on Peugeot 108?
The only remedy when you encounter a brake fluid leak on your Peugeot 108 is to go to your mechanic. If it is light, check your level and drive carefully to the mechanic, if it is too big don’t drive and have your car towed. A general breakdown of your brake system will result in an accident. You can, however, make a few regular checks to limit the risks:
- check the brake fluid level repeatedly.
- Purge your brakes every two years or 40, 000 miles.
- Replace the brake fluid if you feel the brakes on your Peugeot 108 become “soft”.
If you need more guides on the Peugeot 108, go to our Peugeot 108 category.