Certain components of your motor vehicle are essential to its correct running, and to go further, important to your security and that of other users. Your braking system is one of them, and if there’s one thing that must be in good working order, it’s this one. When you begin to have brake problems you need to handle it right away, that’s why our team has created this content on brake fluid leaks on Citroen Xsara to help you treat this concern in the right way and deal with it fairly quickly. To accomplish this, we will first see the function of brake fluid, then, what triggers a brake fluid leak on your Citroen Xsara , and at last, how to fix such a leak.
What is the function of brake fluid on a Citroen Xsara?
So we commence our article by fairly quickly telling you the function of this famous brake fluid in the braking system of your Citroen Xsara. To discover, a brake system functions with a closed hydraulic circuit, that is to say that you will have rigid hoses filled with brake fluid that are pressurized by the master cylinder, and when you press your brake pedal, your brake fluid will be compressed and will actuate your brake calipers so that they pinch the brake pads on your discs. It is consequently necessary that you constantly have the right level of brake fluid on your Citroen Xsara, if you don’t know how to perform this manipulation, seek advice from our article on this subject.
Motives of a brake fluid leak on your Citroen Xsara
We now proceed to a more necessary part to help you discover why you have a brake fluid leak on your Citroen Xsara .
What triggers a brake fluid leak on a Citroen Xsara?
First, we’ll describe the different possible roots of the leak of your Citroen Xsara. Here are the ones below:
- A broken brake hose: It’s one of the most basic motives, one of the brake hoses has been cut and you lose brake fluid and pressure through this hole.
- A defective master cylinder on Citroen Xsara can lead to leaks on its different entries or exits.
- Most of the time this happens when a brake drain has been done lately, and it is often not tightened properly.
- Wheel cylinder: Only present on drum brakes, this part can leak and cause an imbalance in the braking.
How to notice a brake fluid leak on Citroen Xsara?
We will now give you the different suggestions and signs of illness to interpret to verify that you have a brake fluid leak on your Citroen Xsara , discover them below:
- If the ABS warning light of your Citroen Xsara is on , you have to verify directly the state of your circuit, do not think twice to seek advice from our dedicated article to have all the steps to perform.
- If your Citroen Xsara pulls to the left or right when you brake you may possibly have a brake fluid leak.
- This is one of the most apparent symptoms, if you feel that your pedal is much easier to press down and goes up more slowly, it is very likely that you have a loss of pressure in your brake system.
- More obvious, but if you discover brake fluid on one of these components you are bound to have a leak since this circuit is supposed to be closed.
How to resolve a brake fluid leak on Citroen Xsara?
The just remedy when you encounter a brake fluid leak on your Citroen Xsara is to go to your garage area. If it is light, verify your level and drive carefully to the garage area, if it is too big don’t drive and have your car towed. A general breakdown of your brake system will lead to an accident. You can, however, make a few frequent checks to limit the risks:
- verify the brake fluid level frequently.
- Purge your brakes every two years or 40, 000 miles.
- Change the brake fluid if you feel the brakes on your Citroen Xsara become “soft”.
If you want more guides on the Citroen Xsara, go to our Citroen Xsara category.