We are a lot more persons to want to carry out the maintenance of our Mercedes C class by themselves, in truth, the labour in mechanics is very expensive and the least simple service can quickly exceed 100€. The modern vehicles are more and more difficult and we can not carry out all their maintenance, but some acts like servicing its Mercedes C class can be performed without too much difficulty. We are going to help you today to choose the best engine oil for your Mercedes C class , this will allow you to do your oil replace without any headache and to assure you an optimum engine unit actions. To do this, firstly, we will see how to choose the right engine oil for your Mercedes C class , then, in a second step, which are the 3 best engine oils for your Mercedes C class , and finally, we will finish with some tips on how to choose your engine oil.
How to select the best engine oil for your Mercedes C class
We will so begin our article with a small buying guidebook to help you choose the best motor oil for your Mercedes C class with peace of mind. To get this done, we will look at the criteria that differentiate the kind of oil and then we will look at the different types of motor oil. Whatever the case, you should know that if you choose your engine oil correctly, in addition to preserving it, you will lower your consumption and your CO2 emissions.
The criteria that differentiate engine oils for Mercedes C class?
The role of the engine oil in your Mercedes C class is to lubricate your engine unit to ensure that all the gears in it can run properly , and to preserve the integrity of each of its elements. Furthermore, this oil, which will limit all friction, will have other tasks such as preventing corrosion, helping to dissipate heat in the engine unit and guaranteeing sealing . These oils can be bought in 5 litre cans. We will now look at the different criteria for purchasing engine oil for Mercedes C class :
- The cold viscosity of engine oil for Mercedes C class (number in front of the letter “W”, which stands for “Winter”): This value will signify the engine’s ability to begin cold based on the viscosity of the oil. 0W means -30°C; 5W means -25°C, 10W means -20°C and 15W means -15°C. It is consequently up to you to modify it to the temperature in which you drive your Mercedes C class.
- The hot viscosity of the engine oil for Mercedes C class (value following the “W”): Value between 20 and 60, it is necessary to keep in mind that the higher the value, the thicker the layer of oil you will have when hot to protect your engine unit, and the lower the value, the less friction you will have when hot and consequently lower your consumption. Nevertheless, if you use your Mercedes C class in the city, or with a sporty driving style, it’s better to protect it although hot.
- The standards : They are created on the back of the oil canister you can locate them such as “ACEA C1 – C4” or “VW 500. 01”, are just standards of compatibility with different brands of cars, you have to check in the instruction manual of your Mercedes C class that the oil in question is compatible with your engine unit.
- Oil brands: Please take note that the brand should have very little influence in your reasoning, there are enough objective criteria in the composition of motor oil for Mercedes C class to avoid having to concentrate on a subjective criterion such as the brand, some car manufacturers have partnerships and will advise you on certain brands, but it is not required to follow these advice.
The different types of engine oil for your Mercedes C class
- “Mineral” engine oils 15w40: They are known as mineral oils because they are principally made from crude refined oil, which will give them maximum viscosity and consequently a thickness suitable for old engines that tend to consume oil. However, the fact that they are natural will trigger them to lose their lubricating properties more quickly, so it will be required to shorten the intervals between oil changes.
- Semi-synthetic 10w40: This oil has a good quality/price ratio and is said to be semi-synthetic because it is still made up of specific components that will improve its life expectancy. It is thus preferred for a polyvalent use of its vehicle. Additionally, it favours a simpler cold begin than a mineral oil. On the other hand, you should remember to replace the oil every 10, 000km.
- The “synthetic” oil 5w40: This sort of oil is really adapted to the recent Mercedes C class engines, in truth, the protection of the engine unit will be maximum and the cold begin too. It is consequently a good choice either for people who drive in city centres, who have a sporty driving style, or who drive long distances and want to limit the frequency of their oil replace.
The 3 best motor oils for Mercedes C class
We now begin our second section in which we will concentrate on the best motor oils for Mercedes C class , we will present our range and direct you to the best dealers so that you can produce your decision in the best conditions. We have done it a point to present just oils adapted to your Mercedes C class, so you will not actually locate “10w40” in our selection.
Best Low-Cost engine oil for Mercedes C class
We done the choice to select the two best engine oils for Mercedes C class lowcost, so that according to your needs you can make your choice.
Castrol GTX 15W40
This quality oil will allow you to replace or top up the oil level of your Mercedes C class with complete peace of mind at an unbeatable price.
- Value for money
- Perfect if your engine unit begins to get miles on it.
- Mineral quality.
- Periodicity of emptying, about 10, 000km
- Cold begin ability if you live in a cold region
Mobil Super 3000 5W40
A prestigious brand that offers you a kit to do your oil change plus an additional 1 litre that you can use to check the oil level of your Mercedes C class.
- A 100% synthetic oil that will last with time.
- Suitable for intensive use of your vehicle.
- Less suitable for older engines.
Best mid-range engine unit oil for Mercedes C class
Mobil Super 3000 FE 5W30
This synthetic oil is unbeatable value for money and will protect your engine unit, turbo or injection.
- High quality synthetic material that will allow you to space out your drains.
- A price for this interesting quality.
- Suited to all kind of pipes
- Less suitable for older vehicles or vehicles with a lot of mileage.
Best premium motor oil for Mercedes C class
Castrol Edge 5W30
A premium synthetic motor oil to protect your Mercedes C class from friction, even in the worst conditions.
- Top of the range engine unit oil appropriate for all engines from Mercedes C class
- Startup under all conditions.
- You’re not gonna have the ability to get the price.
- Not appropriate for older vehicles
Castrol Magnatec 0W30
An ultra-synthetic motor oil for your Mercedes C class which will be adapted to the most challenging engines such as those equipped with Start and Stop.
- Cold start under the worst conditions.
- Suited to the most demanding engines.
- Suitable for engines equipped with Start and Stop
- You’re not gonna have the ability to get the price.
- Not appropriate for older vehicles or engines with more than 200, 000 kilometers
A few tips on choosing the right engine unit oil for your Mercedes C class
And to finish this article, we will give you some advice on how to produce good use of the motor oil in your Mercedes C class, and produce the right choice when you buy it:
- Be aware that an open can of oil should be disposed of after one year and not be used anymore because it loses a good component of its capacity and may affect your engine unit.
- Observe the suggestions of the oil manufacturers and motor vehicle manufacturers and use only oils compatible with the engine unit of your Mercedes C class
- The oil replace intervals announced by the engine unit oil manufacturer are important, do not exceed the mileage indicated on the canister between each oil replace
If you want more guides on the Mercedes C class, go to our Mercedes C class category.