We are increasingly more persons to wish to carry out the routine service of our Dodge Ram by themself, in actual fact, the labour in mechanics is very pricey and the least simple service can fairly quickly go over 100€. The modern automobiles are more and more difficult and we can not carry out all their routine service, but some acts like servicing its Dodge Ram can be carried out without too much complexity. We are going to help you on this web page to choose the best engine oil for your Dodge Ram , this will allow you to do your oil replace without any headache and to assure you an optimal engine behaviour. To achieve this, firstly, we will see how to select the right engine oil for your Dodge Ram , then, in a second step, which are the 3 best engine oils for your Dodge Ram , and finally, we will conclude with some suggestions on how to choose your engine oil.
How to select the best engine oil for your Dodge Ram
We will therefore commence our article with a small buying guide to help you choose the best motor oil for your Dodge Ram with peace of mind. To achieve this, we will check out the criteria that differentiate the sort of oil and then we will check out the different types of motor oil. In any case, you should know that if you choose your engine oil correctly, in addition to preserving it, you will lower your consumption and your CO2 emissions.
The specifications that differentiate engine oils for Dodge Ram?
The role of the engine oil in your Dodge Ram is to lubricate your engine to assure that all the gears in it can run smoothly , and to preserve the integrity of each of its elements. In addition, this oil, which will limit all friction, will have other tasks such as preventing corrosion, helping to dissipate heat in the engine and guaranteeing sealing . These oils can be purchased in 5 litre cans. We will now check out the different criteria for purchasing engine oil for Dodge Ram :
- The cold viscosity of engine oil for Dodge Ram (number in front of the letter “W”, which stands for “Winter”): This value will indicate the engine’s ability to begin cold based on the viscosity of the oil. 0W means -30°C; 5W means -25°C, 10W means -20°C and 15W means -15°C. It is consequently up to you to modify it to the weather conditions in which you drive your Dodge Ram.
- The hot viscosity of the engine oil for Dodge Ram (value following the “W”): Value between 20 and 60, it is essential to keep in mind that the higher the value, the thicker the layer of oil you will have when hot to protect your engine, and the lower the value, the less friction you will have when hot and consequently lower your consumption. Nevertheless, if you use your Dodge Ram in the city, or with a sporty driving style, it’s better to protect it while hot.
- The specifications : They are written on the back of the oil canister you can discover them such as “ACEA C1 – C4” or “VW 500. 01”, are just specifications of compatibility with different brands of cars, you have to check in the instruction manual of your Dodge Ram that the oil in question is compatible with your engine.
- Oil brands: Please take note that the brand should have very little impact in your reasoning, there are enough objective specifications in the composition of motor oil for Dodge Ram to avoid having to focus on a subjective criterion such as the brand, some car producers have partnerships and will advise you on certain brands, but it is not required to follow these recommendations.
The different types of engine oil for your Dodge Ram
- “Mineral” engine oils 15w40: They are called mineral oils because they are principally composed of crude refined oil, which will give them maximum viscosity and consequently a thickness suitable for old engines that tend to consume oil. On the other hand, the fact that they are natural will bring about them to lose their lubricating properties more fairly quickly, so it will be required to shorten the intervals between oil changes.
- Semi-synthetic 10w40: This oil has a good quality/price ratio and is said to be semi-synthetic because it is still composed of several components that will boost its life expectancy. It is thus preferred for a polyvalent use of its vehicle. Furthermore, it favours a simpler cold begin than a mineral oil. Nevertheless, you should remember to replace the oil every 10, 000km.
- The “synthetic” oil 5w40: This kind of oil is really adapted to the recent Dodge Ram engines, in actual fact, the protection of the engine will be ideal and the cold begin too. It is consequently a good choice either for people who drive in city centres, who have a sporty driving style, or who drive long distances and want to reduce the frequency of their oil replace.
The 3 best motor oils for Dodge Ram
We now commence our second section in which we will focus on the best motor oils for Dodge Ram , we will present our range and direct you to the best sellers so that you can make your decision in the best conditions. We have done it a point to present just oils adapted to your Dodge Ram, so you will not necessarily discover “10w40” in our selection.
Best Low-Cost engine oil for Dodge Ram
We done the choice to select the two best engine oils for Dodge Ram lowcost, so that regarding to your needs you can make your choice.
Castrol GTX 15W40
This quality oil will allow you to replace or top up the oil level of your Dodge Ram with complete peace of mind at an unbeatable price.
- Value for money
- Perfect if your engine begins to get miles on it.
- Mineral quality.
- Periodicity of emptying, about 10, 000km
- Cold begin ability if you live in a cold region
Mobil Super 3000 5W40
A prestigious brand that offers you a kit to do your oil change plus an additional 1 litre that you can use to check the oil level of your Dodge Ram.
- A 100% synthetic oil that will last with time.
- Suitable for intensive use of your vehicle.
- Less suitable for older engines.
Best mid-range engine oil for Dodge Ram
Mobil Super 3000 FE 5W30
This synthetic oil is unbeatable value for money and will protect your engine, turbo or injection.
- High quality synthetic material that will allow you to space out your drains.
- A price to do this interesting quality.
- Ideal for all sort of pipes
- Less suitable for older automobiles or automobiles with quite a lot of mileage.
Best premium motor oil for Dodge Ram
Castrol Edge 5W30
A premium synthetic motor oil to protect your Dodge Ram from friction, even in the worst conditions.
- Top of the range engine oil ideal for all engines from Dodge Ram
- Startup under all conditions.
- You’re not gonna be able to get the price.
- Not ideal for older automobiles
Castrol Magnatec 0W30
An ultra-synthetic motor oil for your Dodge Ram which will be adapted to the most difficult engines such as those equipped with Start and Stop.
- Cold start under the worst conditions.
- Ideal for the most demanding engines.
- Suitable for engines equipped with Start and Stop
- You’re not gonna be able to get the price.
- Not ideal for older automobiles or engines with more than 200, 000 kilometers
A few suggestions on choosing the right engine oil for your Dodge Ram
And to conclude this article, we will give you some suggestions on how to make good use of the motor oil in your Dodge Ram, and make the right choice when you buy it:
- Take note that an open can of oil should be disposed of after one year and not be used anymore because it loses a good component of its capacity and may ruin your engine.
- Observe the advice of the oil manufacturers and motor vehicle manufacturers and use only oils compatible with the engine of your Dodge Ram
- The oil replace intervals announced by the engine oil manufacturer are important, do not exceed the mileage indicated on the canister between each oil replace
If you wish more tutorials on the Dodge Ram, go to our Dodge Ram category.