We are increasingly more persons to want to carry out the routine service of our Dodge Durango by themselves, indeed, the labour in mechanics is very expensive and the least simple service can fairly quickly surpass 100€. The latest automobiles are more and more difficult and we can not carry out all their routine service, but some acts like servicing its Dodge Durango can be performed without too much difficulty. We are going to help you today to select the best engine oil for your Dodge Durango , this will allow you to do your oil replace without any headache and to ensure you an ideal engine actions. To get this done, firstly, we will discover how to choose the right engine oil for your Dodge Durango , then, in a second step, which are the 3 best engine oils for your Dodge Durango , and finally, we will finish with some advice on how to choose your engine oil.
How to select the best engine oil for your Dodge Durango
We will consequently begin our article with a small buying guide to help you select the best motor oil for your Dodge Durango with peace of mind. To do this, we will look at the criteria that differentiate the kind of oil and then we will look at the different types of motor oil. Whatever the case, you should know that if you select your engine oil correctly, in addition to preserving it, you will lower your consumption and your CO2 emissions.
The specifications that differentiate engine oils for Dodge Durango?
The purpose of the engine oil in your Dodge Durango is to lubricate your engine to make sure that all the gears in it can run properly , and to preserve the integrity of each of its elements. In addition, this oil, which will limit all friction, will have other features such as preventing corrosion, helping to dissipate heat in the engine and guaranteeing sealing . These oils can be purchased in 5 litre cans. We will now look at the different criteria for purchasing engine oil for Dodge Durango :
- The cold viscosity of engine oil for Dodge Durango (number in front of the letter “W”, which stands for “Winter”): This value will show the engine’s ability to start cold depending on the viscosity of the oil. 0W means -30°C; 5W means -25°C, 10W means -20°C and 15W means -15°C. It is therefore up to you to adapt it to the weather conditions in which you drive your Dodge Durango.
- The hot viscosity of the engine oil for Dodge Durango (value following the “W”): Value between 20 and 60, it is important to keep in mind that the higher the value, the thicker the layer of oil you will have when hot to protect your engine, and the lower the value, the less friction you will have when hot and therefore lower your consumption. However, if you use your Dodge Durango in the city, or with a sporty driving style, it’s better to protect it although hot.
- The standards : They are made on the back of the oil canister you can locate them such as “ACEA C1 – C4” or “VW 500. 01”, are only standards of compatibility with different brands of cars, you have to verify in the instruction manual of your Dodge Durango that the oil in question is suitable for your engine.
- Oil brands: Please be aware that the brand should have very little effect in your reasoning, there are enough objective specifications in the composition of motor oil for Dodge Durango to avoid having to concentrate on a subjective qualifying measure such as the brand, some car companies have partnerships and will recommend you on certain brands, but it is not necessary to follow these suggestions.
The different types of engine oil for your Dodge Durango
- “Mineral” engine oils 15w40: They are named mineral oils because they are principally consisting of crude refined oil, which will give them maximum viscosity and therefore a thickness suitable for old engines that often consume oil. However, the truth that they are natural will bring about them to lose their lubricating properties more fairly quickly, so it will be necessary to shorten the intervals between oil changes.
- Semi-synthetic 10w40: This oil has a good quality/price ratio and is said to be semi-synthetic because it is still composed of several elements that will boost its lifetime. It is thus appropriate for a polyvalent use of its car. Furthermore, it favours a simpler cold start than a mineral oil. However, you should make sure to replace the oil every 10, 000km.
- The “synthetic” oil 5w40: This kind of oil is really adapted to the recent Dodge Durango engines, indeed, the protection of the engine will be optimum and the cold start too. It is therefore a good choice either for people who drive in city centres, who have a sporty driving style, or who drive long distances and want to reduce the frequency of their oil replace.
The 3 best motor oils for Dodge Durango
We now begin our second section in which we will concentrate on the best motor oils for Dodge Durango , we will present our choice and direct you to the best retailers so that you can make your decision in the best conditions. We have made it a point to present only oils adapted to your Dodge Durango, so you will not necessarily locate “10w40” in our selection.
Best Low-Cost engine oil for Dodge Durango
We made the choice to select the two best engine oils for Dodge Durango lowcost, so that according to your needs you can make your choice.
Castrol GTX 15W40
This quality oil will allow you to replace or top up the oil level of your Dodge Durango with complete peace of mind at an unbeatable price.
- Value for money
- Perfect if your engine starts to get miles on it.
- Mineral quality.
- Periodicity of emptying, about 10, 000km
- Cold start capacity if you live in a cold region
Mobil Super 3000 5W40
A prestigious brand that offers you a kit to do your oil change plus an additional 1 litre that you can use to verify the oil level of your Dodge Durango.
- A 100% synthetic oil that will last with time.
- Suitable for intensive use of your car.
- Less suitable for older engines.
Best mid-range engine oil for Dodge Durango
Mobil Super 3000 FE 5W30
This synthetic oil is unbeatable value for money and will protect your engine, turbo or injection.
- High quality synthetic material that will allow you to space out your drains.
- A price for this interesting quality.
- Appropriate for all kind of pipes
- Less suitable for older vehicles or vehicles with quite a lot of mileage.
Best premium motor oil for Dodge Durango
Castrol Edge 5W30
A premium synthetic motor oil to protect your Dodge Durango from friction, even in the worst conditions.
- Top of the range engine oil ideal for all engines from Dodge Durango
- Startup under all conditions.
- You’re not gonna be able to get the price.
- Not ideal for older vehicles
Castrol Magnatec 0W30
An ultra-synthetic motor oil for your Dodge Durango which will be adapted to the most challenging engines such as those equipped with Start and Stop.
- Cold start under the worst conditions.
- Appropriate for the most demanding engines.
- Appropriate for engines pre-loaded with Start and Stop
- You’re not gonna be able to get the price.
- Not ideal for older vehicles or engines with more than 200, 000 kilometers
A few suggestions on choosing the right engine oil for your Dodge Durango
And to finish this article, we will give you some recommendations on how to make good use of the motor oil in your Dodge Durango, and make the right choice when you buy it:
- Take note that an open can of oil should be disposed of after one year and not be used anymore because it loses a good part of its capacity and may ruin your engine.
- Observe the suggestions of the oil companies and motor vehicle manufacturers and use only oils compatible with the engine of your Dodge Durango
- The oil replace intervals announced by the engine oil manufacturer are important, do not exceed the mileage indicated on the canister between each oil replace
To get more tips on the Dodge Durango, take a look at the Dodge Durango category.