We are increasingly more persons to want to execute the maintenance of our Chevrolet Volt by themselves, indeed, the labour in mechanics is very costly and the least basic service can quickly exceed 100€. The recent automobiles are more and more complex and we can not execute all their maintenance, but some works like servicing its Chevrolet Volt can be performed without too much complexity. We are going to help you in this article to choose the best engine oil for your Chevrolet Volt , this will enable you to do your oil replace without any headache and to guarantee you an optimal engine behaviour. To achieve this, firstly, we will discover how to select the right engine oil for your Chevrolet Volt , then, in a second step, which are the 3 best engine oils for your Chevrolet Volt , and finally, we will finish with some tips on how to choose your engine oil.
How to select the best engine oil for your Chevrolet Volt
We will so commence our article with a small buying guide to help you choose the best motor oil for your Chevrolet Volt with peace of mind. To do this, we will check out the criteria that differentiate the sort of oil and then we will check out the different types of motor oil. Whatever the case, you should know that if you choose your engine oil correctly, furthermore to preserving it, you will reduce your consumption and your CO2 emissions.
The criteria that differentiate engine oils for Chevrolet Volt?
The purpose of the engine oil in your Chevrolet Volt is to lubricate your engine to make sure that all the gears in it can run smoothly , and to preserve the integrity of each of its components. In addition, this oil, which will limit all friction, will have other functions such as preventing corrosion, helping to dissipate heat in the engine and guaranteeing sealing . These oils can be purchased in 5 litre cans. We will now check out the different criteria for purchasing engine oil for Chevrolet Volt :
- The cold viscosity of engine oil for Chevrolet Volt (number in front of the letter “W”, which stands for “Winter”): This value will indicate the engine’s ability to start cold depending on the viscosity of the oil. 0W means -30°C; 5W means -25°C, 10W means -20°C and 15W means -15°C. It is therefore up to you to change it to the weather conditions in which you drive your Chevrolet Volt.
- The hot viscosity of the engine oil for Chevrolet Volt (value following the “W”): Value between 20 and 60, it is important to remember that the higher the value, the thicker the layer of oil you will have when hot to protect your engine, and the lower the value, the less friction you will have when hot and therefore lower your consumption. Nevertheless, if you use your Chevrolet Volt in the city, or with a sporty driving style, it’s better to protect it although hot.
- The requirements : They are written on the back of the oil canister you can find them such as “ACEA C1 – C4” or “VW 500. 01”, are only requirements of compatibility with different brands of cars, you have to verify in the instruction manual of your Chevrolet Volt that the oil in question is suitable for your engine.
- Oil brands: Please be aware that the brand should have very little impact in your judgement, there are enough objective criteria in the composition of motor oil for Chevrolet Volt to avoid having to focus on a subjective qualifying measure such as the brand, some car producers have partnerships and will encourage you on certain brands, but it is not required to follow these recommendations.
The different types of engine oil for your Chevrolet Volt
- “Mineral” engine oils 15w40: They are named mineral oils because they are specifically made up of crude refined oil, which will give them maximum viscosity and therefore a thickness suitable for old engines that often consume oil. However, the truth that they are natural will cause them to lose their lubricating properties more quickly, so it will be required to shorten the intervals between oil changes.
- Semi-synthetic 10w40: This oil has a good quality/price ratio and is said to be semi-synthetic because it is still made up of several components that will improve its lifespan. It is thus suggested for a polyvalent use of its vehicle. Moreover, it favours a simpler cold start than a mineral oil. However, you should remember to replace the oil every 10, 000km.
- The “synthetic” oil 5w40: This type of oil is really adapted to the recent Chevrolet Volt engines, indeed, the protection of the engine will be optimal and the cold start too. It is therefore a good choice either for people who drive in city centres, who have a sporty driving style, or who drive long distances and want to reduce the frequency of their oil replace.
The 3 best motor oils for Chevrolet Volt
We now commence our second section in which we will focus on the best motor oils for Chevrolet Volt , we will present our assortment and direct you to the best retailers so that you can produce your decision in the best circumstances. We have made it a point to present only oils adapted to your Chevrolet Volt, so you will not actually find “10w40” in our selection.
Best Low-Cost engine oil for Chevrolet Volt
We made the choice to select the two best engine oils for Chevrolet Volt lowcost, so that regarding to your needs you can make your choice.
Castrol GTX 15W40
This quality oil will enable you to replace or top up the oil level of your Chevrolet Volt with complete peace of mind at an unbeatable price.
- Value for money
- Perfect if your engine begins to get miles on it.
- Mineral quality.
- Periodicity of emptying, about 10, 000km
- Cold start capability if you live in a cold region
Mobil Super 3000 5W40
A prestigious brand that offers you a kit to do your oil change plus an additional 1 litre that you can use to verify the oil level of your Chevrolet Volt.
- A 100% synthetic oil that will last with time.
- Suitable for intensive use of your vehicle.
- Less suitable for older engines.
Best mid-range engine oil for Chevrolet Volt
Mobil Super 3000 FE 5W30
This synthetic oil is unbeatable value for money and will protect your engine, turbo or injection.
- High quality synthetic material that will enable you to space out your drains.
- A price to do this interesting quality.
- Appropriate for all sort of pipes
- Less suitable for older vehicles or vehicles with a lot of mileage.
Best premium motor oil for Chevrolet Volt
Castrol Edge 5W30
A premium synthetic motor oil to protect your Chevrolet Volt from friction, even in the worst conditions.
- Top of the range engine oil suitable for all engines from Chevrolet Volt
- Startup under all conditions.
- You’re not gonna have the ability to get the price.
- Not suitable for older vehicles
Castrol Magnatec 0W30
An ultra-synthetic motor oil for your Chevrolet Volt which will be adapted to the most demanding engines such as those equipped with Start and Stop.
- Cold start under the worst conditions.
- Appropriate for the most demanding engines.
- Appropriate for engines designed with Start and Stop
- You’re not gonna have the ability to get the price.
- Not suitable for older vehicles or engines with more than 200, 000 kilometers
A few tips on choosing the right engine oil for your Chevrolet Volt
And to finish this article, we will give you some tips on how to produce good use of the motor oil in your Chevrolet Volt, and produce the right choice when you buy it:
- Take note that an open can of oil should be disposed of after one year and not be used anymore because it loses a good part of its capacity and may harm your engine.
- Observe the suggestions of the oil manufacturers and car manufacturers and use only oils compatible with the engine of your Chevrolet Volt
- The oil replace intervals announced by the engine oil manufacturer are important, do not exceed the mileage indicated on the canister between each oil replace
Whenever you have any further questions about the Chevrolet Volt, do not hesitate to consult our Chevrolet Volt category.