We are more and more persons to desire to conduct the maintenance of our BMW 3 Series by themselves, indeed, the labour in mechanics is very pricey and the least basic service can fairly quickly surpass 100€. The latest automobiles are more and more complex and we can not conduct all their maintenance, but some works like servicing its BMW 3 Series can be carried out without too much complexity. We are going to help you today to select the best engine oil for your BMW 3 Series , this will enable you to do your oil replace without any headache and to guarantee you an ideal engine behaviour. To achieve this, firstly, we will see how to select the right engine oil for your BMW 3 Series , then, in a second step, which are the 3 best engine oils for your BMW 3 Series , and finally, we will end with some suggestions on how to choose your engine oil.
How to select the best engine oil for your BMW 3 Series
We will consequently commence our content page with a small buying guide to help you select the best motor oil for your BMW 3 Series with peace of mind. To do this, we will look at the criteria that differentiate the sort of oil and then we will look at the different types of motor oil. Whatever the case, you should know that if you select your engine oil accurately, in addition to preserving it, you will lower your consumption and your CO2 emissions.
The specifications that differentiate engine oils for BMW 3 Series?
The function of the engine oil in your BMW 3 Series is to lubricate your engine to make sure that all the gears in it can run properly , and to preserve the integrity of each of its components. Furthermore, this oil, which will limit all friction, will have other tasks such as preventing corrosion, helping to dissipate heat in the engine and ensuring sealing . These oils can be purchased in 5 litre cans. We will now look at the different criteria for purchasing engine oil for BMW 3 Series :
- The cold viscosity of engine oil for BMW 3 Series (number in front of the letter “W”, which stands for “Winter”): This value will indicate the engine’s ability to start cold based on the viscosity of the oil. 0W means -30°C; 5W means -25°C, 10W means -20°C and 15W means -15°C. It is therefore up to you to adapt it to the climatic conditions in which you drive your BMW 3 Series.
- The hot viscosity of the engine oil for BMW 3 Series (value following the “W”): Value between 20 and 60, it is essential to keep in mind that the higher the value, the thicker the layer of oil you will have when hot to protect your engine, and the lower the value, the less friction you will have when hot and therefore lower your consumption. Nevertheless, if you use your BMW 3 Series in the city, or with a sporty driving style, it’s better to protect it while hot.
- The requirements : They are created on the back of the oil canister you can locate them such as “ACEA C1 – C4” or “VW 500. 01”, are only requirements of compatibility with different brands of cars, you have to check in the instruction manual of your BMW 3 Series that the oil in question is suitable for your engine.
- Oil brands: Please be aware that the brand should have very little effect in your reasoning, there are enough objective specifications in the composition of motor oil for BMW 3 Series to avoid having to focus on a subjective qualifying measure such as the brand, some car producers have partnerships and will suggest you on certain brands, but it is not required to stick to these advice.
The different types of engine oil for your BMW 3 Series
- “Mineral” engine oils 15w40: They are named mineral oils because they are specifically made from crude refined oil, which will give them maximum viscosity and therefore a thickness suitable for old engines that often consume oil. On the other hand, the truth that they are natural will bring about them to lose their lubricating properties more fairly quickly, so it will be required to shorten the intervals between oil changes.
- Semi-synthetic 10w40: This oil has a good quality/price ratio and is said to be semi-synthetic because it is still composed of several components that will improve its lifetime. It is thus suggested for a polyvalent use of its car. Furthermore, it favours a simpler cold start than a mineral oil. Nevertheless, you should make sure to replace the oil every 10, 000km.
- The “synthetic” oil 5w40: This sort of oil is really adapted to the recent BMW 3 Series engines, indeed, the protection of the engine will be maximum and the cold start too. It is therefore a good choice either for people who drive in city centres, who have a sporty driving style, or who drive long distances and want to reduce the frequency of their oil replace.
The 3 best motor oils for BMW 3 Series
We now commence our second section in which we will focus on the best motor oils for BMW 3 Series , we will present our range and direct you to the best sellers so that you can make your decision in the best conditions. We have done it a point to present only oils adapted to your BMW 3 Series, so you will not necessarily locate “10w40” in our selection.
Best Low-Cost engine oil for BMW 3 Series
We done the choice to select the two best engine oils for BMW 3 Series lowcost, so that regarding to your needs you can make your choice.
Castrol GTX 15W40
This quality oil will enable you to replace or top up the oil level of your BMW 3 Series with complete peace of mind at an unbeatable price.
- Value for money
- Perfect if your engine begins to get miles on it.
- Mineral quality.
- Periodicity of emptying, about 10, 000km
- Cold start capacity if you live in a cold region
Mobil Super 3000 5W40
A prestigious brand that offers you a kit to do your oil change plus an additional 1 litre that you can use to check the oil level of your BMW 3 Series.
- A 100% synthetic oil that will last over time.
- Suitable for intensive use of your car.
- Less suitable for older engines.
Best mid-range engine oil for BMW 3 Series
Mobil Super 3000 FE 5W30
This synthetic oil is unbeatable value for money and will protect your engine, turbo or injection.
- High quality synthetic material that will enable you to space out your drains.
- A price to do this interesting quality.
- Appropriate for all sort of pipes
- Less suitable for older automobiles or automobiles with quite a lot of mileage.
Best premium motor oil for BMW 3 Series
Castrol Edge 5W30
A premium synthetic motor oil to protect your BMW 3 Series from friction, even in the worst conditions.
- Top of the range engine oil ideal for all engines from BMW 3 Series
- Startup under all conditions.
- You’re not gonna have the ability to get the price.
- Not ideal for older automobiles
Castrol Magnatec 0W30
An ultra-synthetic motor oil for your BMW 3 Series which will be adapted to the most difficult engines such as those equipped with Start and Stop.
- Cold start under the worst conditions.
- Appropriate for the most demanding engines.
- Ideal for engines pre-loaded with Start and Stop
- You’re not gonna have the ability to get the price.
- Not ideal for older automobiles or engines with more than 200, 000 kilometers
A few suggestions on choosing the right engine oil for your BMW 3 Series
And to end this content page, we will give you some advice on how to make good use of the motor oil in your BMW 3 Series, and make the right choice when you buy it:
- Take note that an open can of oil should be disposed of after one year and not be used anymore because it loses a good component of its capacity and may affect your engine.
- Observe the suggestions of the oil companies and car manufacturers and use only oils compatible with the engine of your BMW 3 Series
- The oil replace intervals announced by the engine oil manufacturer are important, do not exceed the mileage indicated on the canister between each oil replace
If you want more tutorials on the BMW 3 Series, go to our BMW 3 Series category.