While air conditioning in a car is one of the most desirable functionality during the summer, it can also bring some inconveniences. In reality, the air conditioning in a Volvo S60 can have a bad smell, and on this page we’re going to try to help you identify why. To do this, first we will check out the motive of this bad smell of air conditioning, then, in a second time, we will try to give you solutions to make them vanish.
Why does the air conditioning of my Volvo S60 have a smell of humidity?
So we start our article with the origins of the bad smells originating from the air conditioning of your Volvo S60. If you have the impression that it is a musty smell, humidity, or other, the origin of these smells is more often than not similar. In reality, air conditioning causes a lot of humidity, which will tend to gather in the ventilation system of your Volvo S60. This humidity is the ideal origin of the proliferation of bacteria and fungi of all sorts in the air conditioning of your Volvo S60. Furthermore, it is possible that smoking in your automobile, or not cleaning it regularly (food leftovers for example) will develop amplify the odors. Finally, the last traditional justification for a bad air conditioning smell in your Volvo S60 is that you have a refrigerant gas leak, called FREON gas, which is toxic and emits a bad smell that will propagate in the passenger compartment of your car.
What can I do to get the bad smell out of my Volvo S60?
Now that you know where to look to locate the motive of this smell, we will try to help you to get rid of bad air conditioning odors on your Volvo S60, because furthermore to being problematic these odors can be harmful to your airways, it is therefore crucial to get rid of them quickly.
Eradicating an unpleasant air-conditioning odor
We will now do a list of actions you can take to get rid of these air-conditioning odours on your Volvo S60:
- Although it may appear to be evident, the dirt that builds up in your car will encourage the expansion of germs and therefore bad odors, cleaning your Volvo S60 frequently will allow you to eradicate many of the sources of these.
- The best method is to clean the whole air conditioning system of your Volvo S60 with antibacterial and anti-fungicidal products. To do this, please have a look at our article which points out in detail the technique to stick to.
- Change the cabin or pollen filter of your Volvo S60: This filter which intends to protect against impurities from getting into the cabin of your car must be replaced every year and can store bad smells, be sure to check its condition.
Avoid musty air-conditioning odors on Volvo S60
To finish , last part of our article on air conditioning smells on Volvo S60, we are now going to give you some tips to preserve your air conditioning system and avoid bad smells in your Volvo S60:
- Switch off the air conditioning 5/10 minutes before turning off the engine: In reality, always accomplish this step will allow you to dry a maximum of humidity in your ventilation circuit and thus limit the humidity.
- Although it sounds basic, you don’t always have time to take care of your car, but garbage is the first thing that triggers bad odors, so remember to keep your car healthy.
- To ensure that the air conditioning of your Volvo S60 is always in good functioning order (air conditioning compressor particularly), it should be run for 10 minutes every month.
- Be sure that there is no leak on your air conditioning is fundamental, in actual fact, the liquid is toxic and moreover the operation of your air conditioning would be downgraded in the case of a leak.
If you want more guides on the Volvo S60, go to our Volvo S60 category.