While air conditioning in a car is one of the most preferred functionality during the summer, it can as well bring in some inconveniences. In reality, the air conditioning in a Mercedes Benz C Class can have a bad smell, and in this article we’re going to try to help you establish why. To do this, first we will have a look at the explanation of this bad smell of air conditioning, then, in a second time, we will try to give you solutions to make them go away.
Why does the air conditioning of my Mercedes Benz C Class have a smell of humidity?
So we begin our article with the source of the bad smells originating from the air conditioning of your Mercedes Benz C Class. If you have the feeling that it is a musty smell, humidity, or other, the origin of these smells is more often than not similar. In reality, air conditioning produces a lot of humidity, which will usually tend to gather in the ventilation system of your Mercedes Benz C Class. This humidity is the perfect base of the spreading of bacteria and fungi of all sorts in the air conditioning of your Mercedes Benz C Class. Additionally, it is possible that smoking in your car, or not cleaning it regularly (food leftovers for example) will lead to amplify the odors. Finally, the last traditional cause for a bad air conditioning smell in your Mercedes Benz C Class is that you have a refrigerant gas leak, called FREON gas, which is toxic and produces a bad smell that will propagate in the passenger compartment of your car.
What can I do to get the bad smell out of my Mercedes Benz C Class?
Now that you know where to look to locate the motive of this smell, we will try to help you to eradicate bad air conditioning odors on your Mercedes Benz C Class, because furthermore to being annoying these odors can be harmful to your airways, it is therefore important to get rid of them quickly.
Getting rid of an unpleasant air-conditioning odor
We will now make a list of actions you can take to eradicate these air-conditioning odours on your Mercedes Benz C Class:
- Even though it may look obvious, the dirt that builds up in your car will encourage the development of germs and therefore bad odors, cleaning your Mercedes Benz C Class frequently will allow you to take out many of the sources of these.
- The best remedy is to clean the whole air conditioning system of your Mercedes Benz C Class with antibacterial and anti-fungicidal products. To do this, please read our article which clarifies in detail the technique to follow.
- Replace the cabin or pollen filter of your Mercedes Benz C Class: This filter which is designed to prevent impurities from getting into the cabin of your car must be changed every year and can store bad smells, make sure you examine its condition.
Avoid musty air-conditioning odors on Mercedes Benz C Class
Finally, last part of our article on air conditioning smells on Mercedes Benz C Class, we are now going to give you some suggestions to maintain your air conditioning system and avoid bad smells in your Mercedes Benz C Class:
- Turn off the air conditioning 5/10 minutes before turning off the engine: In reality, always conduct this step will allow you to dry a maximum of humidity in your ventilation circuit and thus limit the humidity.
- Although it sounds basic, you don’t always have time to take care of your car, but trash is the first thing that motives bad odors, so remember to keep your car healthy.
- To ensure that the air conditioning of your Mercedes Benz C Class is always in good operating order (air conditioning compressor in particular), it should be run for 10 minutes every month.
- Be certain that there is no leak on your air conditioning is essential, in fact, the liquid is toxic and also the operation of your air conditioning would be downgraded in the case of a leak.
If you want more guides on the Mercedes Benz C Class, go to our Mercedes Benz C Class category.