Even if air conditioning in a car is one of the most preferred functionality during the summer, it can as well bring some inconveniences. In actual fact, the air conditioning in a BMW 5 Series can have a bad smell, and in this article we’re going to try to enable you identify why. To accomplish this, first we will take a look at the motive of this bad smell of air conditioning, then, in a second time, we will try to give you possibilities to make them go away.
Why does the air conditioning of my BMW 5 Series have a smell of humidity?
So we start our guideline with the origin of the bad smells coming from the air conditioning of your BMW 5 Series. Whether you have the feeling that it is a musty smell, humidity, or other, the source of these smells is generally alike. In actual fact, air conditioning produces a lot of humidity, which will usually tend to build up in the ventilation system of your BMW 5 Series. This humidity is the perfect base of the proliferation of bacteria and fungi of all kinds in the air conditioning of your BMW 5 Series. Moreover, it is possible that smoking in your vehicle, or not cleaning it on a regular basis (food debris for example) will lead to increase the odors. At last, the last classic explanation for a bad air conditioning smell in your BMW 5 Series is that you have a refrigerant gas leak, called FREON gas, which is toxic and secretes a bad smell that will propagate in the passenger compartment of your car.
What can I do to get the bad smell out of my BMW 5 Series?
Now that you know where to look to find the motive of this smell, we will try to help you to get rid of bad air conditioning odors on your BMW 5 Series, because furthermore to being problematic these odors can be harmful to your airways, it is therefore essential to get rid of them quickly.
Getting rid of an unpleasant air-conditioning odor
We will now make a list of actions you can take to get rid of these air-conditioning odours on your BMW 5 Series:
- Although it may look obvious, the dirt that builds up in your car will promote the development of germs and therefore bad odors, cleaning your BMW 5 Series commonly will allow you to take out many of the origins of these.
- The best remedy is to clean the whole air conditioning system of your BMW 5 Series with antibacterial and anti-fungicidal products. To accomplish this, please seek advice from our guideline which clarifies in detail the process to stick to.
- Replace the cabin or pollen filter of your BMW 5 Series: This filter which intends to protect against impurities from getting into the cabin of your car must be replaced every year and can store bad smells, make sure you verify its condition.
Avoid musty air-conditioning odors on BMW 5 Series
Finally, last part of our guideline on air conditioning smells on BMW 5 Series, we are now going to give you some tips to maintain your air conditioning system and avoid bad smells in your BMW 5 Series:
- Turn off the air conditioning 5/10 minutes before turning off the engine: In actual fact, always accomplish this step will allow you to dry a maximum of humidity in your ventilation circuit and thus limit the humidity.
- Although it sounds basic, you don’t always have time to take care of your car, but garbage is the first thing that triggers bad odors, so remember to keep your car healthy.
- To make certain that the air conditioning of your BMW 5 Series is always in good operating order (air conditioning compressor in particular), it should be run for 10 minutes every month.
- Make certain that there is no leak on your air conditioning is essential, in actual fact, the liquid is toxic and also the operation of your air conditioning would be altered in the case of a leak.
If you wish more guides on the BMW 5 Series, go to our BMW 5 Series category.