Paying attention to your car is imperative in these days, in truth, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is specifically the subject we are going to discuss on this webpage, one of the symptoms that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Volvo Xc40. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Volvo Xc40?.
What does the ABS light on Volvo Xc40 indicate?
We will commence our content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Volvo Xc40, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Volvo Xc40?
First of all, it is important to explain to you what the ABS of your Volvo Xc40 is used for so that you can understand the remaining of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Volvo Xc40 is consisting of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Volvo Xc40
In fact, you can quite easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Volvo Xc40
Now we go forward to the part that you are probably more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Volvo Xc40? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is faulty. You should be informed that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Volvo Xc40 can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Volvo Xc40 to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Volvo Xc40: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Volvo Xc40?
We will now go forward to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Volvo Xc40?. The solutions will rely upon the deficiencies you are having. Firstly, pass your Volvo Xc40 to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Volvo Xc40, don’t be reluctant to browse our article content which explains the steps to take. Once you have determined the origin of your trouble, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Volvo Xc40:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve identified an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Volvo Xc40, take a look at the Volvo Xc40 category.