Monitoring your automobile is essential nowadays, in reality, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is specifically the theme we are going to talk about on this webpage, one of the indications that most perturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Vauxkhall Astra. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Vauxkhall Astra?.
What does the ABS light on Vauxkhall Astra indicate?
We will start our paper with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Vauxkhall Astra, for this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Vauxkhall Astra?
To start with, it is necessary to explain to you what the ABS of your Vauxkhall Astra is intended for so that you can understand the remaining of this content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Vauxkhall Astra is consisting of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Vauxkhall Astra
In truth, you can with ease experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Vauxkhall Astra
Now we go forward to the section that you are most probably more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Vauxkhall Astra? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is faulty. You should be conscious that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Vauxkhall Astra can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them causes the ABS light on your Vauxkhall Astra to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Vauxkhall Astra: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will unavoidably turn on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Vauxkhall Astra?
We will now go forward to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Vauxkhall Astra?. The solutions will be contingent on the failure you are encountering. First of all, pass your Vauxkhall Astra to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Vauxkhall Astra, don’t think twice to read our content which points out the steps to take. Once you have found the source of your problem, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Vauxkhall Astra:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve identified an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the problem, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To find more tips on the Vauxkhall Astra, take a look at the Vauxkhall Astra category.