Monitoring your car is vital in these days, indeed, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is specifically the theme we are going to discuss on this webpage, one of the indicators that most disturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Toyota FJ Cruiser. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Toyota FJ Cruiser?.
What does the ABS light on Toyota FJ Cruiser signify?
We will begin our content page with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Toyota FJ Cruiser, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Toyota FJ Cruiser?
First of all, it is vital to describe to you what the ABS of your Toyota FJ Cruiser is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Toyota FJ Cruiser is composed of different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Toyota FJ Cruiser
In truth, you can with ease feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Toyota FJ Cruiser
Now we proceed to the section that you are most certainly more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Toyota FJ Cruiser? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is defective. You should be advised that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Toyota FJ Cruiser can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Toyota FJ Cruiser to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Toyota FJ Cruiser: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will inevitably come on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Toyota FJ Cruiser?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Toyota FJ Cruiser?. The solutions will depend on the failure you are having. First of all, pass your Toyota FJ Cruiser to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Toyota FJ Cruiser, don’t hesitate to go through our article content which details the steps to take. Once you have located the source of your issue, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Toyota FJ Cruiser:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve detected an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the issue, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Toyota FJ Cruiser, take a look at the Toyota FJ Cruiser category.