Watching your vehicle is important in these days, in fact, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car getting in bad conditions. This is specifically the subject we are going to focus on in this article, one of the symptoms that most disturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Toyota Camry. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Toyota Camry?.
What does the ABS light on Toyota Camry mean?
We will commence our article with the definition of an ABS warning light on Toyota Camry, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Toyota Camry?
To begin with, it is necessary to explain to you what the ABS of your Toyota Camry is used for so that you can understand the remaining of this content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Toyota Camry is made up of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Toyota Camry
In reality, you can simply feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Toyota Camry
Now we move on to the section that you are most likely more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Toyota Camry? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is defective. You should be conscious that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Toyota Camry can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them causes the ABS light on your Toyota Camry to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Toyota Camry: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will undoubtedly come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Toyota Camry?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Toyota Camry?. The answers will could depend on the deficiencies you are experiencing. To begin with, pass your Toyota Camry to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Toyota Camry, don’t be reluctant to read our content which explains the steps to take. Once you have identified the cause of your issue, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Toyota Camry:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve identified an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the issue, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you wish more tutorials on the Toyota Camry, go to our Toyota Camry category.