Keeping an eye on your car is essential nowadays, in fact, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car getting in bad conditions. This is specifically the topic we are gonna talk about on this webpage, one of the indicators that most disturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Ram ProMaster City. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Ram ProMaster City?.
What does the ABS light on Ram ProMaster City mean?
We will start our paper with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Ram ProMaster City, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Ram ProMaster City?
To start with, it is fundamental to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Ram ProMaster City is intended for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Ram ProMaster City is composed of several components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Ram ProMaster City
The fact is, you can very easily come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Ram ProMaster City
Now we go forward to the section that you are almost certainly more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Ram ProMaster City? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is faulty. You should be informed that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Ram ProMaster City can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them motives the ABS light on your Ram ProMaster City to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Ram ProMaster City: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will obviously turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Ram ProMaster City?
We will now go forward to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Ram ProMaster City?. The solutions will might depend on the failure you are enduring. Firstly, pass your Ram ProMaster City to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Ram ProMaster City, don’t be reluctant to read our article content which details the steps to take. Once you have found the source of your problem, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Ram ProMaster City:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve noticed an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you need more tutorials on the Ram ProMaster City, go to our Ram ProMaster City category.