Monitoring your vehicle is very important nowadays, in reality, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car withering away. This is exactly the subject we are going to discuss in this article, one of the symptoms that most disturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Ram P/U. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Ram P/U?.
What does the ABS light on Ram P/U mean?
We will commence our article with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Ram P/U, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Ram P/U?
First of all, it is fundamental to explain to you what the ABS of your Ram P/U is utilized for so that you can understand the remaining of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Ram P/U is made up of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Ram P/U
The fact is, you can very easily come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Ram P/U
Now we proceed to the section that you are certainly more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Ram P/U? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is faulty. You should be conscious that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Ram P/U can alert:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Ram P/U to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Ram P/U: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Ram P/U?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Ram P/U?. The answers will might depend on the failure you are experiencing. First of all, pass your Ram P/U to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Ram P/U, don’t hesitate to go through our guideline which points out the steps to take. Once you have identified the source of your trouble, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Ram P/U:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve noticed an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Ram P/U, take a look at the Ram P/U category.