Monitoring your car is essential nowadays, in truth, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is exactly the subject we are gonna focus on on this webpage, one of the signs that most disturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Nissan Maxima. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Nissan Maxima?.
What does the ABS light on Nissan Maxima mean?
We will begin our content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Nissan Maxima, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Nissan Maxima?
First of all, it is vital to describe to you what the ABS of your Nissan Maxima is employed for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Nissan Maxima is consisting of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Nissan Maxima
In truth, you can very easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Nissan Maxima
Now we proceed to the section that you are likely more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Nissan Maxima? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is faulty. You should be aware that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Nissan Maxima can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them causes the ABS light on your Nissan Maxima to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Nissan Maxima: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will unavoidably turn on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Nissan Maxima?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some answers to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Nissan Maxima?. The answers will depend on the failure you are having. To begin with, pass your Nissan Maxima to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Nissan Maxima, don’t be reluctant to examine our article content which details the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the origin of your trouble, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Nissan Maxima:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve identified an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To discover more tips on the Nissan Maxima, take a look at the Nissan Maxima category.