Monitoring your vehicle is very important in these modern times, in truth, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is precisely the subject we are gonna discuss today, one of the indications that most disturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Mercedes Benz S Class. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Mercedes Benz S Class?.
What does the ABS light on Mercedes Benz S Class indicate?
We will begin our paper with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Mercedes Benz S Class, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Mercedes Benz S Class?
First of all, it is necessary to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Mercedes Benz S Class is used for so that you can understand the remaining of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Mercedes Benz S Class is composed of several parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Mercedes Benz S Class
In truth, you can simply experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Mercedes Benz S Class
Now we move on to the section that you are most probably more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Mercedes Benz S Class? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is defective. You should be aware that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Mercedes Benz S Class can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them causes the ABS light on your Mercedes Benz S Class to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Mercedes Benz S Class: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Mercedes Benz S Class?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Mercedes Benz S Class?. The solutions will be contingent on the deficiencies you are having. Firstly, pass your Mercedes Benz S Class to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Mercedes Benz S Class, don’t think twice to go through our guideline which details the steps to take. Once you have discovered the source of your trouble, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Mercedes Benz S Class:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve detected an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
In the event that you have any further questions about the Mercedes Benz S Class, do not hesitate to consult our Mercedes Benz S Class category.