Monitoring your vehicle is fundamental in these days, in truth, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car withering away. This is precisely the subject we are gonna discuss today, one of the symptoms that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Mercedes Benz M Class. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Mercedes Benz M Class?.
What does the ABS light on Mercedes Benz M Class mean?
We will commence our content with the definition of an ABS warning light on Mercedes Benz M Class, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Mercedes Benz M Class?
To begin with, it is necessary to describe to you what the ABS of your Mercedes Benz M Class is intended for so that you can understand the remaining of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Mercedes Benz M Class is made up of different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Mercedes Benz M Class
In fact, you can very easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Mercedes Benz M Class
Now we proceed to the section that you are almost certainly more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Mercedes Benz M Class? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is defective. You should be aware that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Mercedes Benz M Class can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them causes the ABS light on your Mercedes Benz M Class to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Mercedes Benz M Class: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Mercedes Benz M Class?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Mercedes Benz M Class?. The solutions will rely upon the deficiencies you are going through. Firstly, pass your Mercedes Benz M Class to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Mercedes Benz M Class, don’t think twice to read our article which explains the steps to take. Once you have identified the source of your trouble, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Mercedes Benz M Class:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve detected an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the trouble, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Mercedes Benz M Class, take a look at the Mercedes Benz M Class category.