Watching your car is fundamental nowadays, in truth, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car withering away. This is precisely the topic we are going to talk about on this webpage, one of the indications that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Lincoln MKZ. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Lincoln MKZ?.
What does the ABS light on Lincoln MKZ mean?
We will begin our content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Lincoln MKZ, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Lincoln MKZ?
To begin with, it is essential to describe to you what the ABS of your Lincoln MKZ is used for so that you can understand the remaining of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Lincoln MKZ is made from several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Lincoln MKZ
The fact is, you can very easily come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Lincoln MKZ
Now we proceed to the section that you are probably more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Lincoln MKZ? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is faulty. You should be informed that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Lincoln MKZ can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them motives the ABS light on your Lincoln MKZ to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Lincoln MKZ: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will undoubtedly turn on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Lincoln MKZ?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some answers to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Lincoln MKZ?. The answers will be based upon the deficiencies you are experiencing. First of all, pass your Lincoln MKZ to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Lincoln MKZ, don’t hesitate to go through our article content which points out the steps to take. Once you have identified the cause of your trouble, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Lincoln MKZ:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve identified an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the trouble, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To discover more tips on the Lincoln MKZ, take a look at the Lincoln MKZ category.