Keeping an eye on your vehicle is vital in these modern times, in truth, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is precisely the topic we are going to discuss in this article, one of the indications that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Lincoln MKX. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Lincoln MKX?.
What does the ABS light on Lincoln MKX indicate?
We will begin our article content with the definition of an ABS warning light on Lincoln MKX, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Lincoln MKX?
To begin with, it is essential to describe to you what the ABS of your Lincoln MKX is used for so that you can understand the rest of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Lincoln MKX is composed of different components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Lincoln MKX
In reality, you can simply come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Lincoln MKX
Now we move on to the part that you are most likely more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Lincoln MKX? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is defective. You should be conscious that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Lincoln MKX can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Lincoln MKX to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Lincoln MKX: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will unavoidably turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Lincoln MKX?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some answers to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Lincoln MKX?. The answers will depend on the failures you are enduring. Firstly, pass your Lincoln MKX to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Lincoln MKX, don’t hesitate to read our guideline which explains the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the cause of your trouble, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Lincoln MKX:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve noticed an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the trouble, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To find more tips on the Lincoln MKX, take a look at the Lincoln MKX category.