Watching your automobile is imperative in these modern times, indeed, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car withering away. This is precisely the theme we are going to discuss today, one of the indicators that most perturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Lexus RX. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Lexus RX?.
What does the ABS light on Lexus RX indicate?
We will begin our content page with the definition of an ABS warning light on Lexus RX, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Lexus RX?
To start with, it is vital to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Lexus RX is used for so that you can understand the rest of this content page. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Lexus RX is made up of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Lexus RX
In fact, you can very easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Lexus RX
Now we move on to the section that you are most likely more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Lexus RX? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be informed that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Lexus RX can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them motives the ABS light on your Lexus RX to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Lexus RX: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Lexus RX?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Lexus RX?. The solutions will rely upon the failure you are going through. First of all, pass your Lexus RX to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Lexus RX, don’t be reluctant to go through our content page which points the steps to take. Once you have determined the origin of your issue, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Lexus RX:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve spotted an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the issue, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you wish more tutorials on the Lexus RX, go to our Lexus RX category.