Watching your automobile is important in these modern times, in fact, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is precisely the subject we are going to focus on in this article, one of the indicators that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Lexus GX. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Lexus GX?.
What does the ABS light on Lexus GX mean?
We will start our article with the definition of an ABS warning light on Lexus GX, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Lexus GX?
To start with, it is vital to explain to you what the ABS of your Lexus GX is intended for so that you can understand the remaining of this content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Lexus GX is made up of different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Lexus GX
In reality, you can quite easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Lexus GX
Now we move on to the section that you are certainly more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Lexus GX? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be advised that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Lexus GX can alert:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Lexus GX to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Lexus GX: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will unavoidably turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Lexus GX?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Lexus GX?. The solutions will be based upon the failures you are having. To begin with, pass your Lexus GX to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Lexus GX, don’t think twice to go through our content which explains the steps to take. Once you have identified the origin of your trouble, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Lexus GX:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve detected an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the trouble, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you wish more tutorials on the Lexus GX, go to our Lexus GX category.