Keeping an eye on your car is imperative nowadays, in fact, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is specifically the topic we are gonna discuss in this article, one of the indications that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Jeep Renegade. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Jeep Renegade?.
What does the ABS light on Jeep Renegade indicate?
We will start our article content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Jeep Renegade, for this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Jeep Renegade?
To start with, it is vital to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Jeep Renegade is used for so that you can understand the remaining of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Jeep Renegade is made from different parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Jeep Renegade
In truth, you can very easily come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Jeep Renegade
Now we go forward to the part that you are most likely more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Jeep Renegade? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is faulty. You should be advised that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Jeep Renegade can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Jeep Renegade to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Jeep Renegade: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will undoubtedly come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Jeep Renegade?
We will now go forward to the part where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Jeep Renegade?. The answers will rely upon the failure you are encountering. To begin with, pass your Jeep Renegade to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Jeep Renegade, don’t hesitate to examine our article which details the steps to take. Once you have identified the cause of your trouble, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Jeep Renegade:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve noticed an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the trouble, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you wish more guides on the Jeep Renegade, go to our Jeep Renegade category.