Keeping an eye on your vehicle is imperative in these days, in truth, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is precisely the subject we are gonna talk about today, one of the indications that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Jeep Patriot. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Jeep Patriot?.
What does the ABS light on Jeep Patriot mean?
We will start our article content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Jeep Patriot, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Jeep Patriot?
To start with, it is essential to describe to you what the ABS of your Jeep Patriot is intended for so that you can understand the rest of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Jeep Patriot is consisting of different parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Jeep Patriot
In reality, you can quite easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Jeep Patriot
Now we proceed to the part that you are likely more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Jeep Patriot? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be informed that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Jeep Patriot can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them motives the ABS light on your Jeep Patriot to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Jeep Patriot: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will undoubtedly turn on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Jeep Patriot?
We will now proceed to the part where we will try to give you some answers to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Jeep Patriot?. The answers will might depend on the deficiencies you are going through. Firstly, pass your Jeep Patriot to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Jeep Patriot, don’t hesitate to examine our guideline which explains the steps to take. Once you have discovered the source of your problem, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Jeep Patriot:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve identified an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you wish more guides on the Jeep Patriot, go to our Jeep Patriot category.