Paying attention to your car is vital in these days, in truth, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is specifically the subject we are gonna discuss on this webpage, one of the symptoms that most perturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Jeep Liberty. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Jeep Liberty?.
What does the ABS light on Jeep Liberty indicate?
We will start our article with the definition of an ABS warning light on Jeep Liberty, to do this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Jeep Liberty?
To start with, it is essential to describe to you what the ABS of your Jeep Liberty is used for so that you can understand the rest of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Jeep Liberty is made from several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Jeep Liberty
The fact is, you can with ease come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Jeep Liberty
Now we proceed to the part that you are certainly more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Jeep Liberty? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is faulty. You should be knowledgeable that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Jeep Liberty can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Jeep Liberty to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Jeep Liberty: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will inevitably come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Jeep Liberty?
We will now proceed to the part where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Jeep Liberty?. The answers will be contingent on the deficiencies you are going through. To begin with, pass your Jeep Liberty to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Jeep Liberty, don’t hesitate to go through our guideline which points out the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the cause of your trouble, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Jeep Liberty:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve spotted an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Jeep Liberty, take a look at the Jeep Liberty category.