Watching your automobile is fundamental in these days, in reality, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is exactly the subject we are going to focus on on this webpage, one of the indicators that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Jeep Compass. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Jeep Compass?.
What does the ABS light on Jeep Compass signify?
We will begin our content page with the definition of an ABS warning light on Jeep Compass, for this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Jeep Compass?
To start with, it is fundamental to describe to you what the ABS of your Jeep Compass is used for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Jeep Compass is consisting of different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Jeep Compass
The fact is, you can simply come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Jeep Compass
Now we go forward to the section that you are most certainly more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Jeep Compass? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is faulty. You should be informed that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Jeep Compass can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them causes the ABS light on your Jeep Compass to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Jeep Compass: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will inevitably come on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Jeep Compass?
We will now go forward to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Jeep Compass?. The solutions will rely upon the failures you are encountering. To begin with, pass your Jeep Compass to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Jeep Compass, don’t hesitate to browse our article content which explains the steps to take. Once you have determined the cause of your issue, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Jeep Compass:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve identified an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the issue, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you wish more tutorials on the Jeep Compass, go to our Jeep Compass category.