Watching your automobile is very important nowadays, in truth, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is precisely the theme we are gonna discuss on this webpage, one of the symptoms that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on GMC Canyon. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on GMC Canyon?.
What does the ABS light on GMC Canyon indicate?
We will commence our paper with the meaning of an ABS warning light on GMC Canyon, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on GMC Canyon?
First of all, it is important to describe to you what the ABS of your GMC Canyon is intended for so that you can understand the remaining of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your GMC Canyon is made from different components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your GMC Canyon
In truth, you can very easily come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on GMC Canyon
Now we proceed to the section that you are almost certainly more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a GMC Canyon? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is faulty. You should be advised that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your GMC Canyon can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them triggers the ABS light on your GMC Canyon to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your GMC Canyon: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my GMC Canyon?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my GMC Canyon?. The solutions will could depend on the deficiencies you are experiencing. Firstly, pass your GMC Canyon to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on GMC Canyon, don’t be reluctant to browse our article which points out the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the cause of your issue, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your GMC Canyon:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve spotted an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the issue, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
In the event that you have any further questions about the GMC Canyon, do not hesitate to consult our GMC Canyon category.