Monitoring your automobile is essential in these days, in fact, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car getting in bad conditions. This is precisely the theme we are going to talk about today, one of the symptoms that most disturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Ford Taurus. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Ford Taurus?.
What does the ABS light on Ford Taurus indicate?
We will commence our content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Ford Taurus, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Ford Taurus?
First of all, it is vital to describe to you what the ABS of your Ford Taurus is employed for so that you can understand the remaining of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Ford Taurus is composed of different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Ford Taurus
In truth, you can very easily come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Ford Taurus
Now we go forward to the section that you are likely more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Ford Taurus? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be aware that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Ford Taurus can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Ford Taurus to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Ford Taurus: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Ford Taurus?
We will now go forward to the section where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Ford Taurus?. The answers will could depend on the deficiencies you are encountering. To begin with, pass your Ford Taurus to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Ford Taurus, don’t think twice to examine our article content which explains the steps to take. Once you have found the cause of your issue, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Ford Taurus:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve identified an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the issue, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you need more guides on the Ford Taurus, go to our Ford Taurus category.