Keeping an eye on your car is important nowadays, in fact, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car withering away. This is specifically the topic we are going to talk about on this webpage, one of the indications that most disturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Ford Focus C-max. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Ford Focus C-max?.
What does the ABS light on Ford Focus C-max indicate?
We will start our article with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Ford Focus C-max, to do this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Ford Focus C-max?
To start with, it is necessary to describe to you what the ABS of your Ford Focus C-max is intended for so that you can understand the remaining of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Ford Focus C-max is consisting of several parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Ford Focus C-max
The fact is, you can with ease experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Ford Focus C-max
Now we move on to the part that you are most certainly more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Ford Focus C-max? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is faulty. You should be informed that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Ford Focus C-max can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Ford Focus C-max to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Ford Focus C-max: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will inevitably turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Ford Focus C-max?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Ford Focus C-max?. The solutions will be contingent on the deficiencies you are going through. To begin with, pass your Ford Focus C-max to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Ford Focus C-max, don’t hesitate to browse our article which explains the steps to take. Once you have identified the source of your problem, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Ford Focus C-max:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve identified an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the Ford Focus C-max, do not hesitate to consult our Ford Focus C-max category.